Radio Check? Reality Check!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Radio Check? Reality Check!

Post by Warren S »

About mid-season last year, we noticed the on-board VHF transceiver was not putting out a very strong signal (it was working fine on the survey-sail). It became obvious when we needed a tow (used cell phone) and couldn't seem to communicate with the towing vessel until they were almost alongside, that the signal strenght had deteriorated.

Given the limited success we had thus far in getting up the mast to check the antenna connection, we decided, for a number of reasons, that a handheld unit would be a good idea, so we purchased a brandy new one from West Marine late last year. In preparing for a trip across the Pamlico this year, I tried to get a radio check from anyone listening, to no avail. At the time, I chalked it up to just no one around at the time. As we were on the Sound and I could see some commercial traffic, I tried again, to no avail. Finally, when we needed assistance on our approach to a channel (diesel dead, long story) no one, not even the Coast Guard could be raised on any power setting (ch 16, or 22). We ended up diverting to another destination. The next day, at a marina, I attempted to call their base station *while standing on the dock within 100 feet of the building*. The response was "I can barely hear you Captain".

I'm convinced that either Morveren or my personal aura is a sink for RF power. The Bermuda Triangle for electromagnetic propagation, if you will. I can't see why a brand new VHF with the antenna securely attached and new batteries would be, well, useless. We exchanged it for a new one - the guy at WM said it sounded fine when Judy tested it by driving away and calling, but we changed it anyway and I don't think we've been able to raise anyone with it yet. I'm at a loss. I have no faith in this thing now.

Any similar experiences out there? What range would I expect from a handheld (WM store brand) on the 2.5 watt setting?

Thanks!
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Post by Peter Kozup »

Certainly more than a hundred yards!! I assume you were testing the handheld out with the antenna that's on the boat (presumably at the top of the mast), though after reading your post again perhaps you weren't. Still, to me it sounds as though you have an antenna problem. Your handheld should have a short "rubber ducky" antenna that plugs in and you should be able to try that out. If you get a signal out with that you should get a signal out with the antenna on the boat. There could be other things wrong with the antenna up top besides a loose connection -- e.g., the coaxial cable might be broken, the coax connector might be loose, etc.. How long has the antenna been at the top of the mast? Have you thought of trying a new antenna up there?
I use a handheld, an older Icom model, on western Lake Erie and have no trouble communicating for several miles with it, usually on low power which is only a watt out. My antenna is a whip at the top of my mast. Even using the "rubber ducky" antenna you should be able to be heard well over a couple of miles over water.
It would seem to me that if the radio is working then the problem must be in the antenna.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

"Yes" on the antenna

Post by Warren S »

I meant to mention that I receive transmissions fine. For clarification, this is the handheld VHF with its factory "rubber ducky" antenna. I agree, I should have been able to raise someone 1.5 miles offshore of Ocracoke, let alone the Coast Guard. The batteries were fresh, the antenna was connected and verified, all power settings were tried. I'm beginning to wonder if the brand of radio is at fault (West Marine store brand). We hadn't tried a different brand.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Faulty radio???

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Could happen. Complain to WM and get a warranty checkout (and service) of the unit.
The low power setting (1 watt) might get up to a one mile range (harbor use), while the mid (2.5 watt) and high (5 watt) should get much farther, all LINE OF SIGHT.
For comparisons, take a look at Practical Sailor, July and October 2006. The WM models in the review, were about average.
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

I purchased an Icom new this year from West Marine. While deciding on which handheld to buy I asked the advice of a WM employee, I was leaning toward the WM brand until he advised me to buy the Icom. Price was not the issue either as they were priced the same.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Radio Check? Reality Check

Post by seadawg »

Most probably there are two separate problems: boat and handheld. If the handheld is receiving well then the antenna is ok. Two handhelds would not likely have the same problem. Could it be that you are not speaking close enough and loud enough into the handheld's mike? That would give weak signal to someone trying to here you. Just a thought...Charlie
chase

VHF Failure

Post by chase »

Warren,

I had a West Marine handheld a couple of years ago. It failed(for no apparent reason) on a singlehanding trip back from Charleston to Wrightsville Beach. I had to run down below and call the bridges on ship radio and then back to helm. Did a faceplant in the cockpit trying to get back to helm to avoid edge of "rockpile" through Myrtle Beach.

Mine would receive but not transmit, and West Marine replaced it -- you should do the same. I lost that one out in the middle of the Pamlico during an exciting headsail change. They do not float.

As for ships radio, I'd put it on your list to re-cable mast one day to give you peace of mind. I don't get much cellular reception out on the sound personally nor would I want it to be my only method of communication.

You and Judith could test by taking known good handheld five and ten miles away from Marina with a new ships radio (old one first?) and see if the radio is the issue. Just use a working channel and see what it does. Might just be two bad radios...

If not, address cable and return radio being careful to repackage.

Hope that helps,

Chase
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have had a Standard Horizon handheld for over 6 years now. It always works well. Never seems to run down it's battery and is supposed to be completely waterproof. It is a great little radio for cockpit use and in the dinghy or kayaks.

I had a similar problem transmitting a year ago. It turned out to be the connection at the mast base. After that incident I got myself an emergency antenna to keep on the boat. It is a short antenna with the a cable attached. If I were ever to have doubts about my antenna again I could simply disconnect at the radio and hook the emergency one up. It has a long enough cable that I could hoist it up high to get longer range if need be. Basically it eliminates the whole antenna system from the possibility if there is a problem.

For a little while I had a spare radio on board but that seems a bit much. Best of luck, Steve.