teak oil how too

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

faraway

teak oil how too

Post by faraway »

Faraway has all dark teak inside and even though it looks good I know nothing has been done to it in over 7 years.
I know nothing about doing teak.
What product should I use and How?
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I have used Liquid Gold on Ariel's interior teak and it works well. I prefer the spray can. Spray it on, let it soak in, then rub it down. If the teak is very dirty, you can polish it with bronze wool (extra fine), then a soft cloth. After that, you will only need the soft cloth to polish and wipe down the teak. (Ariel's interior teak has never been varnished. If your's has, then you have a whole different look, but Liquid Gold should still work well for you assuming the varnish is in good shape.) I like to clean the teak with Murphy's Oil Soap at the beginning of the season.
David VanDenburgh (the elder)
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Interior teak

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

I agree with David, clean the teak with Murphy's. If, however, you suspect there's some mildew on the teak, i.e. grey powdery stuff, you'll want to wipe all the teak down with a mild bleach solution. Let it air dry before oiling.
I'd suggest finishing with lemon oil. Since it's regular furniture polish, it's reasonably priced, it smells great and helps control mildew.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Rebinva

We bought our 28, Sandpiper, a few weeks ago.

Post by Rebinva »

She had been ignored for quite a while. We used Lemon Oil on the interior teak and feel that it worked really well. It is purported to have some anti mildew properties as well.