CD 270 Headroom & Grounding characteristics?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rwi4

CD 270 Headroom & Grounding characteristics?

Post by rwi4 »

I'm trying to compare certain features of two boats- the CD28 & CD270. Does anyone know the exact cabin headroom of a CD270?

I like the 'shoal draft' concept for shallow waters and real sheltered anchorages. I'm wondering what it's like to go completely aground (intentionally or unintentionally). Will anyone confess to doing that? Does the boat heel over dramatically or not? Also, what's it like for a CD28 to go aground?

Much Appreciated,
Richard
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

270 = best sailboat in the world!

Post by Warren S »

OK, that was a tad enthusiastic.

I'm 5'11 and I don't ave to duck anywhere in the vessel - not even in the head. That's one of the things that sold me on it.

As for grounding, yep, a few times within the last 4 months. Those dang shoals like to move around. Helps to have an up-to-date chart. We've always been able to get off a grounding. A few times just because the wind was in our favor, once when a couple in a dinghy saw what was up and just came over and shoved us off (thanks, whoever you are). Worst time was when I had to board the dink, strap on the motor and attempt to tow her. By the time I was in place with the bridle, she was sailing off anyway. Granted, these were probably light groundings.

I'll tell you this: you will be glad for the shallow draft if you like gunkholeing with a boat that has a mighty comfortabe and roomy cabin. She's a little roomier than the 27 or 28, less than 2 extra feel of beam.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
rwi4

CD 270 Headroom & Grounding Characteristics

Post by rwi4 »

Any chance you could put a tape to the cabin height of your CD270. I was once 6' 3" but may have shrunk with age. I stood in a CD28 recently which measured 6' 1" and it felt OK.

As far as grounding- I meant tides out and your folded over. If the bottom is flat or your leaning up hill- will you take on water with the return of the tide?
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Post by Warren S »

Ahh, that kind of grounding. No, there isn't a tidal range to speak of this far inside the outer banks.

If I go to the boat this weekend, i will gladly measure it for you. I'm sure that even at 6'1", you'd still have some room.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Going aground

Post by Neil Gordon »

First, it depends if you ground on something soft (e.g., sand/mud) or something hard (e.g., rock/ledge). Soft mostly just stops the boat; hard comes with a most awful banging sound. (If you hit harder, there's also a crunching sound, which is worse!)

You won't heel over much or at all for the most part. If there are waves and you're pushed further aground, you'll be higher up and when the waves retreat, you'll lest a little. Mostly it's lift up and set down, though... with considerable ugly noise if you're on rocks.

If there's a falling tide, you'll lean over as the tide goes out. If you can't get off and are stuck until the next high, you'd prefer to lean the boat to the uphill side. Button everything up so you don't fill with water as the boat refloats.

Most of us have been aground.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rwi4

CD 270 Headroom and Grounding Characteristics

Post by rwi4 »

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that if you 'wanted' to spend some time in a tidal zone where the CD 270 (3' draft) would be high and dry at times it would be no big deal (depending on the bottom)with it's shallow draft, as apposed to the CD28, which may or may not be problematical with its 4' draft.

Look forward to knowing the cabin height.

Richard
marilou

It is relative...

Post by marilou »

You will go aground sooner with a 4 ft. draft, and you will get off sooner with a 3 ft. draft.

The Cape Dory is a full keel design, vs. fin keel, but I would not suggest putting any of these boats on the ground on their side.

Twin keels might be an option.

Headroom on Cape Dory 270 is 6 ft. 1", I belive, I will double check it.

Is there a Cape Dory 270 for sale?
Last edited by marilou on Aug 17th, '07, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
rwi4

CD270 Headroom & Grounding Characteristics?

Post by rwi4 »

Marilou
I'm trying to focus on the right boat (either CD28 or CD270) for what I want to do, hence some perhaps off the wall questions. It's tough to know certain details when you live at the bottom of the world NZ. So no actual boat is available yet. Hope there will be come next year and preferably in the Pacific Northwest, where I'll be spending many summers.

By the way, when Fred Bickum in Fenix (CD28) visited Opua, New Zealand a few months back, I was able to meet him and have a good look at a Cape Dory for the first time- such a nice little cruiser. I want one!