Is Breezy for sale?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Russell

Is Breezy for sale?

Post by Russell »

I came across this today:

Yacht World Link

THe last I recall hearing from Breezy, a CD25D, was hauling in OZ for repairs, now to see a 25D for sale in OZ has me wondering, this must be Breezy. I have often thought why we have not heard more from him recently. Shame to find shes for sale now, hope all is well.
Last edited by Russell on Aug 7th, '07, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I can't imagine there's another 25D that sailed from California to Australia without us knowing about it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I agree with Neil. The only thing is, I thought I remembered Breezy almost being run down by a commercial ship as she was entering a Western Australia port, but I have slept since then and am too lazy to look up the post and see.

Maybe he is trading up???

Fair (but VERY HOT) winds
Bill Member #250.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Mostly BREEZY

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I used to own BREEZY. Mike Hunter bought it from me. The first picture posted on the Yachtworld site isn't a photo of BREEZY, but the rest of them are.
Mike, if you're out there, we'd like to hear from you.
Regards,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Uh-oh

Post by Joe Myerson »

I wonder if the picture is a generic one.

I can't imagine there are too many 25Ds that sailed from California to OZ.

Mike, let us know what happened?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

As most know, I have been searching for a CD22, alternatively a CD 25D or a CD Ty Weekender. I saw the ad of for the CD 25D in Australia posted on Yachtworld.com yesterday. At first I was intrigued and then disappointed when I saw it was in Australia (transport to Miami would be expensive). Then I saw the asking price :!: Yikes :!: :!:

I was frankly amazed at the asking price of $38,500 US. At first, I thought the broker had possibly forgot to convert from Australian dollars to US dollars. However, the conversion rate as of today is 1.16 to 1.17 USD to UAD.

Thus, regardless of the exchange rate used, $38,500 is well more than 2x the selling price of any CD 25D in the US. I know of a CD25D that sold for $18,500 in Conn., the highest price I am aware of for a CD 25D sold within the past 2 years. The buyer looked at her, never requested a survey and bought her on the spot. The broker said he had never seen such a transaction. Admittedly, that CD 25D in Conn. appeared to be in better than Bristol condition with all the "bells and whistles".

I am assuming there must be a typographical error in the asking price for this CD 25D in Australia.

I guess I could fly to Brisbane (a little north of Yamba) and inspect her myself.

I wish the owner well in his/her efforts to sell this CD 25D.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt wrote:At first I was intrigued and then disappointed when I saw it was in Australia (transport to Miami would be expensive).
You could always sail it home.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I have a hard time believing that 25D crossed many oceans. It has NO dodger hardware. How could you possibly sail a 25D across an ocean w/o a dodger. A dive mask and a long snorkel?
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Russell

Post by Russell »

rtbates wrote:I have a hard time believing that 25D crossed many oceans. It has NO dodger hardware. How could you possibly sail a 25D across an ocean w/o a dodger. A dive mask and a long snorkel?
Well, considering the pacific crossing is all downwind I dont think lacking a dodger is as much of an issue. If this is Breezy, which it must be, there is no doubt that it did the crossing. I see european boats arrive in the caribbean all the time without dodgers, it may be wet, but its not impossible.
Russell
barfwinkle

Photo Authenticity

Post by barfwinkle »

Well another issue is where is the Monitor Wind Vane????? I am almost positive that Mike's email listed a monitor wind vane.

None of the pics I looked at had a vane of any kind, nor does the vessel description list one! So the pics must have been taken prior to her departure from California.

The mystery thickens!
Bill Member #250.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Considering she went up on a reef, its likely the "before" pictures were prefered by the broker. A heavily cruised boat rarely shows well. When I was boat shopping I often found the yachtworld pictures were sometimes obviously many years old.
Russell
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Russell wrote:
rtbates wrote:I have a hard time believing that 25D crossed many oceans. It has NO dodger hardware. How could you possibly sail a 25D across an ocean w/o a dodger. A dive mask and a long snorkel?
Well, considering the pacific crossing is all downwind I dont think lacking a dodger is as much of an issue. If this is Breezy, which it must be, there is no doubt that it did the crossing. I see european boats arrive in the caribbean all the time without dodgers, it may be wet, but its not impossible.
Good points Russell. I don't know about the euro boats, BUT on a 25D I wouldn't even remotely consider putting to sea w/o a dodger.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
carsail1260

Post by carsail1260 »

The price is very average for Australia. We had a friend sail his 1984 Catalina from San Diego to Sydney. He took 2 years wandering the So Pac and then sold his boat in Australia. I'm not sure of the exact $$ amount, but he paid for the boat, the 2 years of cruising expenses & a plane ticket home with the proceeds from the sale. Many people also sail quality American boats to Europe for a couple of years and then sell them over there for a profit when they are done cruising. Also, if you have a broker who is willing to give you access to www.soldboats.com you will see that 2 25D's have sold for 19,500-19,900 in the past year thru brokers.
Kurt & Carolyn Thomas
"YOLO" 1983 Cape Dory 25D
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Carolyn:

I have no knowledge of prices in OZ. $38,500 just seemed "out of the park" high. It stills seems very, very high.

I have on occassion been able to gain access to the dealers/brokers website www.soldboats.com

I was able to access it most recently about 2 months ago. It is possible you may have been looking at the "listed" price or asking price, not the "sold" price. A 1981 CD 25D was listed at $19,500 and subsequently sold for $17,450 in November 2005. A 1982 CD 25D was listed at $19,900 and subsequently sold for $16,000 in January 2003. All of the other CD 25Ds listed through brokers were sold at or below $18,000.

I would still like to look at the CD 25D in OZ. Alas, the air fare would cost more than I can afford to take out of my "beer fund". :wink:

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Clay Stalker

What about a CD26??

Post by Clay Stalker »

Robert:

Robinhood Marine Brokerage has a very nice looking CD26 listed for well under 20K....looks very well cared for. Call Dave Perry.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH