How to commit suicide!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lew Gresham

How to commit suicide!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Weekender
hull #914
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

oh my god.
I have done some stupid things in my life but that was astounding!
}=-(-_-)-={
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Extenuating circumstances

Post by NevisTyphoon »

I believe the sailer had a sandbar on his starboard side and was forced to try this maneuver to try get out of the way of the ferry which was not turning to starboard to make a safe pass. The ferry captain knew of the sandbar - I think the ferry was determined to be at fault by the courts!

Things may not always be what they appear to be......

Regards,
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Russell

Re: Extenuating circumstances

Post by Russell »

NevisTy wrote:I believe the sailer had a sandbar on his starboard side and was forced to try this maneuver to try get out of the way of the ferry which was not turning to starboard to make a safe pass. The ferry captain knew of the sandbar - I think the ferry was determined to be at fault by the courts!

Things may not always be what they appear to be......

Regards,
I dunno, I would much rather go aground in sand then be hit by a ferry... heck even if it was a rockpile that still sounds preferable. THough I agree, there is probably far more to the story.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

If I am correct that's some very old footage of a wooden boat colliding with the Martha's Vineyard ferry many years ago (Like 20+)-
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I don't recall the accident but I would assume that one vessel struck by another might gain the sympathy of the court. However, the ferry was to starboard of the motoring sailboat and normally should have maintained course. If there was a sandbar to starboard of the motoring sailboat, it didn't just appear in the last few minutes and there may not have been any hazards to port. In either case, there does not seem to be any reason the motoring sailboat could not reverse engines and wait.
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Run aground or get crushed (and likely killed) the ferry? run aground it is!
Its a very short clip and theres not a lot of information in it but still, they STEERED into the path of the ferry.

It sure looked like a nice boat....

well anyway heres something to brighten the mood of this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRvujRFsjY

THAT looks like fun!

Cheers,
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
Doug Fallin

Sailing in the Surf

Post by Doug Fallin »

When sailing in the surf who has the right of way, a sailboat or a surfer?
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

hahaha!I wondered that too!
I suppose it comes down to who is being overtaken and who is more or less maneuverable and constrained by draft.... That, and as far as I know surfers seem to take turns.
This brings up the problem of the display of shapes and lights: a lot of surfers seem to be getting towed by jet skis out to the wave which also clearly gives the tow vessel (and what ever it is towing) right of way, however I dont recall seeing the jet ski displaying anything.

GRIN!
}=-(-_-)-={
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Al Levesque wrote:I don't recall the accident but I would assume that one vessel struck by another might gain the sympathy of the court.
Okay... disclaimer first... I'm not a lawyer and certainly not an admiralty lawyer. That said:

It's not "what," it's "why." So if one vessel is anchored not displaying the required light(s) and is struck by another (faultless) vessel, the owner of the anchored ship loses.

In the case of the sailboat and the ferry, if the boat crossed in front of the ferry and was hit, vs. the ferry crossing first and being hit by the boat, I don't think that's a critical difference. It's who was obligated to do what in accordance with the rules.

Rules aside, it's good practice not to mess with ferries.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698