Do I need a spinnaker halyard?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarcMcCarron

Do I need a spinnaker halyard?

Post by MarcMcCarron »

I purchased a symmetrical spinnaker for my CD30K and now it's time
to get the rest of the stuff. Can I use my jib halyard for the spinnaker
( I plan to use a sock with it) or do I need to get a new halyard put on?
MARC MCCARRON
iropicc

head to head

Post by iropicc »

For a spinnaker that is symmetrical, the halyard should attach to the head of the sail above and forward of the headstay. The headsail halyard will not accomplish this. You may also need a spin pole (not a wisker pole), upper and lower pole guys and a reaching strut. your mast should also have a pole receiver that is adjustable up and down. $$Lots of bucks if your hiull is not already equipped. You will not need any additional equipment if all you want to do is go "spinnaker flying" off the stern, while at anchor.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Spinnaker stuff

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Marc:
Yes, gulp! You'll need to give up some of those boat bucks to complete your spinnaker setup.
While you CAN fly the spinnaker using the jib halyard, you'll have a difficult time jibing, because the halyard is behind the forestay.
To set it up correctly you'll need to rig the spinnaker halyard from a masthead spinnaker bail. Your boat will use Spartan P/N SP-083-1, see link to Spartan in the"Where to Look" section of this website. Add a swivel block to the bail. You'll need to add a second cleat to the mast on the port side for the halyard. Someday, you may want to add a set of rope clutches above the portside winch. With those, you can free up the winch for use on hoisting one sail while still flying the other. Otherwise, you'll need to completely drop one before hoisting the other.
Do you have a whisker pole? You can use it in place of a spinnaker pole. Not perfect, but it'll work. If you have a whisker pole, you already have a ring on the mast for the pole. If not, you'll be WAY better off to add a track section and an adjustable ring on a slider.
Your boat will use a 2 1/2" diameter pole, the length is your "J" dimension.
You can use the jibboom topping lift as the topping lift for the pole. Wow, one thing you don't have to buy!
You'll need to rig a foreguy, or downhaul, to keep the pole from rising. Someday you'll want to add a padeye on the foredeck for this (also makes a good harness attachment point). Until then, you can rig to a cleat on the foredeck.
You'll need turning blocks way aft for the spin sheets. While permanent mounts are best, you can use blocks which are attached to straps fastened to the stern cleats, that's how I have mine rigged.
I wouldn't worry bout a reaching strut until you have everything else rigged and use the spinnaker several times to see whether you need one or not.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego