Kay Sal bank, and Elbow Kay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Kay Sal bank, and Elbow Kay

Post by neil »

Anyone been there? its 82 miles South East of me and I'm dammed curious!

Cheers!
}=-(-_-)-={
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I've been diving in the Cay Sal Banks for many years on liveaboard dive boats. There is an excellent Blue Hole there. Not much to see on land.

It is VERY close to claimed Cuban territorial waters.

There are no human inhabitants on any of the cays in the Cay Sal Banks.

The Marine Corps and Navy do (used to do) some fly overs during practice flights. During the 80s young ladies were known on occassion to "flash" for the pilots. I, of course, was appalled at such behavior. :wink:

Several years ago there seemed to be a lot of submarine traffic in the area.

If I recall correctly there is/was a lighthouse on Elbow Cay, unless a recent hurricane took it down.

The waters are generally calm, clear and warm.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
viejo

Post by viejo »

neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

viejo wrote:.....
Well said Viejo!

And Sea Hunt, thanks! Diving is exactly what I have in mind. Do you suppose there is any issues with customs? I know its part of the Bahamas but am not sure if that complicates things or not....

Ahhwell, Im going as soon as theres enough wind.

Thanks again!
}=-(-_-)-={
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

The dive operation I used to go with had very good relations with Bahamian Customs/Immigration and the Bahamian Defense Force. It is my recollection the dive operation communicated with Bahamian authorities to obtain permission to enter Bahamian waters and conduct dive ops in Cay Sal.

The owner, now retired, is a good friend. I will send him an email and see if he remembers the protocols for Cay Sal.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

wow........

thanks man......
}=-(-_-)-={
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Neil:

My friend (used to run a dive boat to the Bahamas for many years) is out of town but he sent me the following email:

R
They must first enter through a port of entry like going any where in the Bahamas.
T

So, you have to clear Bahamian Customs/Immigration first and then designate Cay Sal as a point of disembarkation.

I would call Bahamian Tourist Bureau and check with them first. Below is an address and phone number that may be good:

1200 South Pine Island Road
Plantation, Florida 33324
954-236-9292 or 800-224-3681

From my recollection of going there in a 90' converted Gulf Coast oil rig crew boat, I think the sail to Cay Sal should be great fun, particularly this time of year.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

hmmm........
That sounds like a good excuse to go to the Bahamas.... Like I need an excuse!
It does seem funny to have to sail around your destination to ask permission to go there and than sail back but since my boat is my usual destination anyhow maybe I wont worry about that.
This more than doubles the distance and as far as I am concerned thats good.
I will give them a call since I dont know a lot about the Bahamas it seems like a good idea, avoiding pissing off the country you are visiting is always wise.

Thanks again!
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
viejo

Post by viejo »

neil wrote:
viejo wrote:.....
Well said Viejo!

I had posted a response, but then figured out you were talking about a part of the Bahamas I've not been to yet. They have the same names for some of the places, and I figured out you weren't talking about the Abacos.

I'll go back to lurking now..... :oops:
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

Sorry, I couldent help my self so I had to comment on that, I was actually thinking about commenting in morse code but then would have had to go poking about looking for a translator or look it up in Chapmans or something....

GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
}=-(-_-)-={