Stepping Typhoon mast by hand

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kbridges

Post by kbridges »

Hello, I am considering buying a Typhoon and was wondering if it is possible to step the mast by hand. Thanks
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Stepping the mast

Post by bhartley »

Stepping the mast on a Ty is a piece of cake. Two people can rig one in 20 minutes (if they don't stop to argue).

We dropped the rig at the mooring with no problem either.

Bly
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Weekender
hull #914
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

The short answer is yes you can.

Post by Gary M »

I've always been more apprehensive about lowering a mast then raising it.

Everything is technique and mechanical advantage.

With out going into detail, Bly is right, piece of cake. Once you have the right technique you could most likely do it yourself.

Why did I say that. I don't know if I could do it myself at my age but then, there was a time!!!

Just think it out, think ahead, and be prepared. If you want more advice on the technique there is plenty of advice available right here on the good ol Cape Dory Board.

Gary
kbridges

Post by kbridges »

Thanks for the info all, very encouraging.
wingreen

use a vang

Post by wingreen »

I use a vang to raise the mast from the cockpit. Attach one end to the bow, and the other end to a small padeye about 1/3 up the mast. Run the line back to the cockpit, step the mast, and pull, pull, pull...
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Using a vang

Post by RIKanaka »

I've used a vang in the past. In fact that's all I've used the vang for since I've had it as I've yet to install the bail to use it for its designated purpose! This year my brother-in-law helped me raise the mast.

Don't forget to sling a line across the top of the cabin, over the horizontal mast, aft of the tabernacle mast step, to prevent the masthead from falling over the stern as you walk it back far enough to fit the mast base into the mast step hinge. About 3/5 to 2/3 of the mast will extend beyond the stern before you can fix the mast base into the hinge.

Just don't forget to then remove the line before raising the mast!
Aloha,

Bob Chinn