Water on cockpit sole

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Nigel Noble

Water on cockpit sole

Post by Nigel Noble »

Last night I had more people on my 25 than I had ever entertained - only 6 of us -we were on an anchor watching the fireworks in Three Mile Harbor - and I had a thin covering of water on the cockpit sole which I had never experienced before. It stayed below the teak flooring so it was not a problem, but could I ask the knowledgeable members of the board is this typical, has the sole sunk a little?
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Your guest's weight lowered the boat.....

Post by Gary M »

Nigel,

I may be looking at this too simple mindedly but it sounds like the weight of your guests simply lowered the boat in the water making your cockpit sole go slightly lower then the water level.

At this point water came in through your cockpit scuppers and flooded the cockpit sole.

When your guest left the boat should have raised up allowing the water to drain back out. Is that what happened?

Gary
Nigel Noble

Post by Nigel Noble »

Yes, the sole was dry today. I too thought this was too simple a reason. Thanks for your confirmation. I was/am a bit surprised that merely 6 people sitting in the cockpit was too many.
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Don't feel too bad. Four agerage sized people in the cockpit of a Typhoon are enough to flood the cockpit sole. If you are ever going to have a bunch of people on board again just close the cockpit drain, seacocks. It will keep the sole from flooding even if you brigng aboard a small herd of elephants. Just don't forget to open them again before it rains. A flooding boat does nothing to set your guests at ease. It works out well if there are a bunch of messy eaters though. Tht water line is pretty close to the cockpit sole so it doesn't take too much to have the water on the wrong side, Steve.
Nigel Noble

Post by Nigel Noble »

Thanks. You're right it does unnerve the guests.
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE