Epiwotsit varnish

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Vigor

Epiwotsit varnish

Post by John Vigor »

I know this sounds a bit dumb, but I have used Epifanes varnish for lo these many years without knowing how to pronounce it. Usually, I don't have to pronounce it. I just find it on the shelf and give the man my hard-earned loot.

But I live in fear that one day it won't be there, and I shall have to ask for it by name, thereby making an idiot (okay, a bigger idiot) of myself.

Is it e-PIF-an-eez, the sort of thing Saul experienced on the road to Damascus? Or is it EP-ee-fains?

It's obviously an industrial word, made up from the prefix "epi" meaning skin, or cover, and "fanes," which, according to Google
is an acronym for Furnace Atomization Non-Thermal Emission Spectrometry.

Yes, well, it's all very complicated. But it's the pronunciation that's important. I know that many Cape Dory owners use it. What exactly do you call it when your minds are relaxed and your tongues loosened after a couple of Dark 'n Stormies?

John Vigor
Russell

Post by Russell »

"EP-eh-fains" is how I pronouce it and have always heard it pronounced by others(notice the "eh" not "ee" as you suggested).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I am pretty sure that I saw an ad of theirs which spelled it out phontetically as ep-ee-FAHN-es.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Troy Scott

epifanes

Post by Troy Scott »

Well I've always said EP-eh-fanes, but the girl at the local West Marine says eh-PIH-fah-neez. I don't argue.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Al Levesque

Another source

Post by Al Levesque »

I tried their email address and got an immediate reply. I also noticed that they are close to Rockland in the heart of the downeast cruising grounds. A great place to test and observe varnish.

The reply is as follows:

Dear Al,

Epifanes is Greek for epiphany. It is pronounced "e-pi-fawn-us" with the
accent on the first.

Doug

Doug Theobalds
70 Water Street,
Thomaston, Maine
U.S.A. 04861
tel. 207.354.0804
fax 207-354-0387
skype. dtheobalds

Epifanes NA Inc.
Rowable Classics
Stazo Marine NA Inc.
Van de Stadt / Bruynzeel Timber Inc.
Variprop - Varifold
Victron Energy NA Inc.
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Post by Dave Jeffery »

When the pronunciation of Epifanes is settled (if it is), what about the ventilation funnel, box, and baffle combination--dorade? (Or is it properly capitalized as Dorade?)
Door-ADE? Door-ADD? Or...?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Dave Jeffery wrote:When the pronunciation of Epifanes is settled (if it is), what about the ventilation funnel, box, and baffle combination--dorade? (Or is it properly capitalized as Dorade?)
Door-ADE? Door-ADD? Or...?
I pronounce it as "Door-ade", like "Lemonade".
Russell
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I say DOOR-ade.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Troy Scott

Dorade

Post by Troy Scott »

was the name of a yacht on which this type of ventilator first appeared. I say Dor-ade, like lemonade, but I suspect that's an Americanization of the name. Similarly Eldorado, Arkansas is traditionally pronounced to rhyme with "lemonade-oh" even though it's obviously wrong.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Correct pronunciation....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi John,

You asked your question at the right time.

The folks at Epifanes are CDSOA sponsors again this year and I had been in e-mail contact with their rep, so I asked him your question and here's his response:
Tom Morse wrote:Hi Cathy...

We should put the pronunciation explanation back into our ads, which used to
say: "Epifanes (épee-fawn-us)."

Revisiting that pronunciation, I'd say the Epi is closer to the way it's
pronounced in the term epi-pen (the hypodermic for people with potentially
fatal allergies). More of an ep-eee.

The -fanes part (which most people mistakenly think rhymes with urethane)
actually sounds more than "Khan" + "iss." Or, to use the way we pronounce
"barn" here in Maine, it rhymes with "bahn" + "iss." Or perhaps like the
word "wan."

Hope this helps.

Tom
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Greetings,

Call it what you will but I still cannot find the right brush technique to make it not sag on vertical surfaces. I am using it now to varnish my nesting dinghy and though I had bad light, was in a foul mood and had mosquitoes pestering me, I will now be sanding the first coat rather smartly.

I have always had good luck with Goldspar even thought the name is less poetic. The Epifanes is clear and durable though and a good quality varnish, don't get me wrong.

Paul
Russell

Post by Russell »

Paul,

I have used epiphanes several times now. A couple things I have learned:

I gave up on using high quality badger hair brushes, for a non pro the foam brushes give a far better result (and no cleanup issues).

Second, thin the varnish, more then suggested on the can instructions. I thin the first 2 coats 50% for seailing, the third coat about 30 and all coats to follow about 15%. I never use the varnish full strength, it looks awful when it cures. The coats I apply I do so very thin, if you try to apply it thick or heavy, its going to sag, leave brush marks, and not cure well. Thinning it heavily does mean more coats, but also means a much better end result, especially if you want that "mile deep glass" look that only real varnish can give.
Russell
John Vigor

Rename it

Post by John Vigor »

Well, thanks for the help, folks. It's undoubtedly the wood protectant with the name that's hardest to pronounce.

If they renamed it, so we could ask for it in the store, and mention it in public without blushing, they'd sell twice as much.

I believe it's made in Holland, so how about Dutchman's Varnish? Or Finger-in-the-Dyke Varnish? Or Slap-on-Twenty-Coats-and-Hope-for-the-Best Varnish? Or what?

John Vigor

"If a male Cape Dory sailor voices an opinion and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"