TinyTach tachometer feedback please

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ken Textor

TinyTach tachometer feedback please

Post by Ken Textor »

Hi everyone,

With a malfunctioning tachometer in my CD 27 (YSM8 engine), I've been intrigued to see some old posts on a new RPM reading technology via TinyTach tachometer. It seems some of you have installed one and now with a couple of seasons behind you, I'd like to know how you like them. Did you wire them into the 12-volt system or use the stand-alone 9-volt approach? Where did you locate the sensor? Are all parts manufactured with salt water environment in mind?

Any ideas and suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks,

Ken Textor, CD 27 Marie Rose
Arrowsic, ME
________
Buy volcano vaporizer
Last edited by Ken Textor on Feb 10th, '11, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

TinyTach feedback

Post by Ron Turner »

Ken,

I put one on a Yanmar and love it. The display is probably not waterproof but has been water resistant with no degradation. The sensor goes on one of the fuel injection lines. I run mine in 12v mode from the instrument panel. You do have to know the fuel line diameter exactly because of the way the sensor connects. In my case I had the Yanmar parts manual to go by. The sensor block is about 1-1/4 in square and 1/4 in thick so you need to find a place on the fuel line to place it. It tightens onto the line with two screws.
Ron Turner
Andy Denmark

I'm gonna' get one

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Ken,

After first-hand experience with Tiny Tach on Luvit, I'm sold on it. On my 27 reading the tachometer is awkward -- besides having to nearly stand on my head to see it the parallax and interpolation make precise readings impossible. I can put the Tiny Tach anywhere and greatly improve my ability to read it, not to mention the precision with which it registers.

IMO, 65 frogskins is a pretty cheap price for such convenience and accuracy.
________
E-CLASS
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Brassord

Tiny Tack

Post by Ron Brassord »

I bought a Tiny Tack about a year ago, and installed it on a new kubota 722 3 cylinder diesel. It worked great for several months, then began to give wildly fluctuating readings. I called the Company and they were great. We tried seveal things, but no help. I sent the unit back and it checked out OK, so it had to be something with the engine? Whatever, I was given a full refund immediately. The chief engineer Steve advised they were upgrading the unit soon with a new and better chip. I have friends who have units that have performed fine for years. With the built in timers, it offers a lot for the price, and installation is simple.
It's a good company and a good product, and I intend to try the new version.
Ron B
Steve Laume

Mounting

Post by Steve Laume »

Not much information on where to put the little rascal. I have an erratic original tach in the engine instrument panel. This may be due to salt water immersion problems. Any idea if the Tiny Tach could survive that location? Is it lighted for night use? It seems like a bargin compared to conventional tachometers, Steve.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Mounting Location....

Post by Mike Raehl »

I installed a TinyTach at the end of last season. The display unit is mounted in the cockpit with Velcro on the flat surface below the engine control panel where it is easily visible and the lexan panel provides some protection from water. I removed the 12 volt socket that was mounted up under the lexan panel and ran the TinyTach wires through the hole. The sensor wire was just long enough to reach the engine fuel line. Also mounted a 9 volt battery holder inside the cockpit locker with wire ties.

The TinyTach works great. Only disappointment was the 9 volt battery expired in two months, much sooner than I expected. Keep some spare batteries on board.
Mike Raehl
Lew Gresham

A Tiny Tach!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Weekender
hull #914
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

So what it really sounds like I need is a watertight instrument panel cover. I could then install a Tiny Tach and not worry too much about it turning into a green hunk of corrosion. I could never understand why all the electrical instruments and switches for the engine are placed in a location assure of getting dunked. Electronic stuff makes me nervous in a location like that. I suppose it is nothing that would jeapordize the safety of the vessel if it crapped out. One more boat project, like I need one, Steve.