cd30 single handing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

faraway

cd30 single handing

Post by faraway »

I am in the process of upgrading my cd30b Faraway to sail single handed on coastal trips. Being new to the cd cutter rig I am seeking advise as to what improvements or up-grades that will assist in my single handing.
I have already added Batteries and refrigration(need cold beer) and want to add ST wenches but not sure of size yet.
My boat is a 1984 that came with LORAN C and Radar.
Also seek pixs of other cd30 to see ideas for other improvements, please send to nanbob13@comcast.net
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Wenches ? !!

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Bob,

You already have cold beer and now you are down to adding wenches? You are way ahead of me in making boat improvements, I can add no further advice.

Steve Kuhar
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Single handing

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I'd put an autopilot on the must have list. On the nice but not vital list I'd include roller furling on the yankee, a cockpit radio mike, halyards led back to the cockpit.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
chase

chartplotter, etc

Post by chase »

I singlehand my 30 primarily and my chartplotter at the helm has been really helpful. It is a lot of info right at the helm and saves me from flipping charts around in a windy cockpit in a seaway. They are IN the cockpit though and ready if needed in a waterproof cover.

The cockpit mic is a great idea and an autopilot really is necessary. I went for a while without until I got this old Autohelm 3000 installed correctly and it made for some really challenging moments. Like dropping sails on the narrow ICW.

I don't have roller furling but would if I could afford it. On the other hand, I like the simplicity of the hank on yankee. I'd just like a 130 option at the ready especially for downwind sailing. The staysail (on club boom) is awesome. It is one less line to handle in the cockpit and I always start a cruise with reefed main and staysail until I get in "boat rhythm". Once I get back in the swing of things I fly more canvas but I'm never in a hurry to get overpowered. The scariest moments for me are dropping sails in lots of wind. The other day I almost got smashed in the face by the staysail boom. I had the traveler hard to starboard and I went forward on that side to handle the jib. My wife was helming and I almost took it in the face hard.

I'm happy with my halyards on the mast, but probably because I don't know any better. I like it that way. I'd get jacklines for port and starboard and get a nice tether with elastic.

I don't have self-tailing winches but I like my old bronze lewmars, they work fine. I've never really used self tailers, so again, ya'll don't go tellin' me how good they are, I might decide I need them. Right now I just move really fast and nail it 25% of the time. I keep getting better but have major dork-outs regularly. No one's watching, though. :wink:

You're going to have a blast, where are your cruising grounds?

Gotta check cattle before dark.

Chase
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

A '27 is less boat thatn a '30 but for what it's worth, the only special thing we have is a roller furler.

I too start with the main reefed. When I drop the main I take up on all reffing lines so it's easy to start reefed. I seldom go out when the wind is really light since I hate to swelter in the heat so much of the time a reef or two is appropriate.

With respect to autopilot, we don't have one but I'm thinking about a windvane for longer trips. The tiller gets old after about 6 hours.
Mark Abramski
Dean Abramson

I get it

Post by Dean Abramson »

Steve,

I get your joke. Very funny!

He does not mention if the wenches cook, or do foredeck work.

I am going to put on my helmet now, and wait for "incoming."

Dean

(PS: Ladies, I am only kidding...)
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
faraway

Post by faraway »

cabin work only
Clay Stalker

Here We Go!!

Post by Clay Stalker »

In my experience, it is always wise to bring extra beer for the wenches.....
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Dean Abramson

Shame

Post by Dean Abramson »

Clay likes his wenches well-lubricated. And they are only 26 years old.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Ideas

Post by eb1smith »

I do a lot of singlehanded sailing with a CD31. Recently I installed Lazy Jacks and they have been a lot of help. My headsail is on a roller furling, very nice, and I am looking at adding ST winches. The wheel-pilot is also a welcome addition. These items will help you spend more time with the wenches and less time messing with the boat.
Bob Ohler

CD30 Solo sailng

Post by Bob Ohler »

I sail a CD30 on the Chesapeake, frequently single handed. In my opinion, you only need a couple of things to sail the 30 by yourself.
They are: auto-pilot, roller furler on the yankee. A GPS at the helm is nice but not absolutley necessary. I really see no need for the halyards lead aft (mine are not) nor do I have or need ST winches. One final thought, and this should be at the top of the list. A self inflating PFD with built-in harness is a must. They are so comfortable to wear, it does not make sense not to wear one, especially in heavy weather.

I also have the CD30 with the B layout. Feel free to send me an e-mail and we can discuss ideas for the boats.

Bob Ohler
sv Aloha Spirit
Dean Abramson

Lazy Jacks

Post by Dean Abramson »

I agree that lazy jacks are wicked handy. I just got them, and love them. They add a lot of convenience and flexibility for not a lot of money. To not have to immediately tidy up the main, and not have it blocking your view, etc., before you do, would be a great asset for singlehanding, IMHO. Of course, I second the comments re furler, auto-pilot, and S/T winches. Personally, I like all of my halyards at the mast.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
John Vigor

Post by John Vigor »

Dean, I'm told that lazy jacks strip their wenches for servicing only once a year.

John Vigor
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Well, we have to respect what each sailor chooses to do between the sheets.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
John Vigor

Copper plated

Post by John Vigor »

Dean, I'm not so sure that respect is their due. After all, what does one call people who habitually paint their bottoms with copper?

John Vigor