CD25 Electrical Panel cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott B.

CD25 Electrical Panel cover

Post by Scott B. »

anyone have a source for finishing or replacing badly corroded panel covers (the black metal plate with the white lettering)? The switches need replacing anyway due to corrosion. But i was hoping there was someone out there who has made a business of replacing these.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Don and Diana of CD25 Aja made a really nice one a few years ago.

Check out this link:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... tric+panel

Mobile Marine Electrical Service makes custom panels. They made a small sub panel for us, we were pleased with the work and the price wasn't that bad. The following link will get you there:

http://www.wewireboats.com/

Here is a picture of the panel they made for us:

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

Hi Scott
I faced this problem several years ago. I rebuilt the original panel. I sanded off the original paint, cleaned it with acetone and repainted it, two coats of black spray paint and three or four clear. You will lose the original lettering since it is only painted on. I replaced the fuse holders and the switches and added a bus bar for the negative connection using epoxy to attach it to the back of the panel. I used those stick on labels to mark the switches. It still looks great and did not cost that much to do.
Of course breakers are nice and if I ever do it again I will probably move to a breaker set up. I looked around for a breaker panel breifly but did not find one to fit the space without modifications and I just wanted to get it done so I rebuilt.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Search the archives for electrical panels,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

for ideas of commercial and DIY panels. If you redo your's, think about reordering the layout to group certain functions together.
eritsema

Re: CD25 Electrical Panel cover

Post by eritsema »

i have had GREAT success in restoring my control panels on my flybridge by disconnecting everything first (of course), then having a screenprint made of the image, then took it to a place in nh that black powder-coated the panels, then screened on the white lettering. not cheap, though.
i am actually looking to sell the screenprint template. it is for a 33' dory power.
they look absolutely brand new. good luck. elaine
Bob Condon

Post by Bob Condon »

Elaine,

how did you silksceen the image? Is it as simple as either using a
scanner and placing the panel on the scanner?

Thanks
Bob
Bob Condon
William Schmigle

Post by William Schmigle »

HI ELAINE,
We're selling COMPASS ROSE. Give me a call if you know any one that might be interested. She's perfect.
Captain Bill
sfreihofer

Used electrical panel

Post by sfreihofer »

Scott

I have replaced my panel, but I still have the old one. It's not in perfect condition, but it may be better than what you have. I cannot vouch for the switches and circuit breakers. If you want it you can have it... just pay shipping. Here are some photos of it:
http://www.reefroof.com/OldElectric.htm

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale[/url]
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.