Rudder Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brian A.

Rudder Replacement

Post by Brian A. »

Among other things, Simpatico's rudder was seriously damaged when she was blown ashore in a recent storm. The damage includes a bent rudder stock and total replacement is required. The work will be performed at my local yard as an insurance claim, but I believe the replacement rudder will be fabricated by Foss Foam of Clearwater, FL. I have provided them with copies of the diagram and written description from the owners manual to help ensure that the new rudder will be as close as possible to like, kind and quality of the original. I would also like to provide specs as to how the rudder stock was constructed (what grade of stainless etc.) and what kind of weld was used to attach the internal supports. Does anyone have any further information about how CD constucted the CD25 rudder? In addition, does anyone have experience with Foss Foam? Cheers, Brian
Brian A.

Post by Brian A. »

I guess I'm on my own with this outfit. Foss Foam's first step in the building of a new rudder requires the construction of a mold. It has been proposed that my damaged one be shipped to them for this purpose. As far as the ss stock and internal supports, Rig Rite has expressed some interest in doing this part of the job. In the event that this plan is approved and successfully executed, we will will have an additional source for replacement CD25 rudders. I'll follow-up with updates as this project moves along. Cheers, Brian
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Rudder - Cape Dory 25

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Brian A,

You are not alone with a rudder problem. Through the years, I know of several owners who had rudder problems.

I have no idea how handy you are to build a new rudder for yourself, or if you have any friends who are able and competent to build one for you.

I wonder if Foss Foam gave you an estimate for how much a new rudder assembly will cost? Whatever they will charge, you or a local person can build your own complete rudder assembly for a small fraction of what a commercial contractor would charge. (And save a bundle on shipping charges, too.)

FWIW, there is quite a bit of info on design and construction of a CD 25 rudder, along with pictures, in the archives. For anyone who is interested, go to Search, type in "New Rudder - Cape Dory 25" and scroll down to a post submitted by Chris Robin.

I had trouble raising the post, so I clicked on the last post of the thread by Carter and then worked my way back to page #1 and the original post.

I'll be dipped if I can remember the title or heading of the post in which I submitted pictures of the construction stages as the rudder was being built, but they're in the archives somewhere.

Consider using your options there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Good luck,
O J (John Dunn)
Tynaje
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender(a friend suggested naming the boat DNR) no name, Westerly Rhode Island

Re: New Rudder - Cape Dory 25

Post by Tynaje »

Oswego John wrote:Hi Brian A,

You are not alone with a rudder problem. Through the years, I know of several owners who had rudder problems.

I have no idea how handy you are to build a new rudder for yourself, or if you have any friends who are able and competent to build one for you.

I wonder if Foss Foam gave you an estimate for how much a new rudder assembly will cost? Whatever they will charge, you or a local person can build your own complete rudder assembly for a small fraction of what a commercial contractor would charge. (And save a bundle on shipping charges, too.)

FWIW, there is quite a bit of info on design and construction of a CD 25 rudder, along with pictures, in the archives. For anyone who is interested, go to Search, type in "New Rudder - Cape Dory 25" and scroll down to a post submitted by Chris Robin.

I had trouble raising the post, so I clicked on the last post of the thread by Carter and then worked my way back to page #1 and the original post.

I'll be dipped if I can remember the title or heading of the post in which I submitted pictures of the construction stages as the rudder was being built, but they're in the archives somewhere.

Consider using your options there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Good luck,
O J (John Dunn)
Neil,
I also searched using many different angles, still got nothing to be helpful to you. Johns post is from 05.. IF you dont have any luck in your search, send me an e-mail and I can lay out a very very easy approach to building your own, using affordable materials etc. readily available in your neck of the coral.
I usually build high end carbon parts but this done correctly can be fun.
BTW, I like the photo of fellow yard residents in your www photo. classic.