Moving the boom/gooseneck up the mast on a CD 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Goldsmith

Correction

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Sea Hunt,

At the risk of appearing picayune, I must chime in and correct what was one of the most biting and witty comments of 20th Century political discourse, which Mr. Vigor echoed in his recent post:

"And now that he's after a job that he can't get appointed to, he's like Columbus discovering America. He's found child care. He's found education. Poor George. He can't help it - he was born with a silver FOOT in his mouth."

Former Texas Gov. Ann Richards, Keynote Speaker, 1988 Dem. Convention.

Webmaster, please feel free to delete this. I know it is off topic, but I could not resist. Sorry for the trouble!!!
Andy Denmark

Not a big issue

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Robert,

I concur with John Vigor's assessment. Don't let the raised boom deter you from buying this boat if your other criteria are met. It's not that big of an issue IMHO.

Also, if you decide to do an ICW trip (by far the easiest/most fun option, I think), I'd be glad to help out South of the CD canal. The ICW is something everyone should do at least once and it's definitely a time-limited thing, I'm afraid. It's being developed so fast that it will soon change to "unrecognizable" as the real estate interests continue to exploit it. Sad but true!

Hope this helps.
________
Dakota
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
bobdugan

I've wondered about the same thing!

Post by bobdugan »

A previous owner moved the boom of our CD25D up about 12 inches... I kind of like it. It gives me room to stand up with out getting hit on the head, and we have a large dodger to protect us from cold wind and rain.

When we had our mainsail replaced a couple of years ago, the sailmaker offered to put the boom back in its original location and we declined.

I guess I'm happy knowing that I could move the boom back if I wanted too... but for now I like the convenience of the raised boom.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bob:

Wow, a CD 25D owner who has the same raised boom :!:

Did the prior owner tell you why s/he had the boom raised?

Other than the increased head room in the cockpit, have you noticed any difference in the sailing characteristics of your CD 25D - pointing ability, weather helm, lee helm, etc.?

Any observations, etc. are much appreciated.

Fair winds,

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Sea Hunt... if you (or anyone else) ever notice ANY difference in sailing ability, pointing ability, weather helm, lee helm, etc. etc. because of raising the boom one foot on a CD-25D, I'll eat my Cape Dory hat!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Zeida:

With my "tadpole" sailing abilities and knowledge, I seriously doubt I would have even noticed the boom was raised a foot if I had not been told it was, let alone notice any change in sailing characteristics :!:

How is the rehab coming along :?:

I still hope to see Bandolera II. Perhaps while learning the intricacies of a CD 25D :?:

Fair winds,

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
bobdugan

Sailing characteristics w/ raised boom

Post by bobdugan »

Sea Hunt wrote: have you noticed any difference in the sailing characteristics of your CD 25D - pointing ability, weather helm, lee helm, etc.?
I never met the PO who raised the boom. I have a friend (Jeff Giles w/ Glorious) who has a CD25D without the raised boom. I haven't noticed any significant difference between my boat and his boats.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Slightly more tender

Post by Roy J. »

The main on Auburn, CD-25, is cut to allow raising the boom above the sail gate, which provides headroom clearance for a relatively short guy like myself. The boom is always above the gate when Roberta and I sail together. On launch day this year, I singlehanded for the afternoon and left the boom about 8 inches below the gate to see if there was any discernable difference in performance as I had claimed many times to the first mate. In a very small and very subjective sample, let me offer that there seemd to be less weather helm, the boat balanced better, and definitely seemed less initially tender in puffs. The boat balanced better than I had ever experieinced before. At one point I was sailing close on the relative light wind (8-10kts), and able to lash the tiller amidship with the unused genoa sheet, use the head, eat my lunch and watch the scenery for about 20 minutes without touching anything. I had never been able to do that before. All of this would make sense perhaps, as bringing the sail higher on the mast will necessarily raise the center of effort. One guy's $.02 based on very little data. BTW the sail down the Beverly/Manchester shore was a lovely way to start the season! Either way let's raise our mains and go sailing.

Oh and by the way, Seahunt, even if the main is cut to allow hoisting it higher onthis prospective boat, you can always just say no, leave the gooseneck lower on the mast, and enjoy whichever sailing characteristics seem best to you.
Roy Jacobowitz