America's Cup

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

America's Cup

Post by Dean Abramson »

I'm not sure how many of you are interested, but the America's Cup process has reached an interesting stage. US, NZ, Italy and Spain will advance to the challenger semi-finals. US is ranked #1, NZ #2, as of this morning, but they race each other today to see who will go into the semis with the top seed. The top seed will get to pick his opponent in the semis. The winner of the semis and finals will race the Swiss for the Cup. Unfortunately, none of these teams are truly national anymore.

Get info at:
http://www.americascup.com/en/
and TV info at;
http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/3 ... e&catID=76
(Versus used to be called OLN.)

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Didereaux

Re: America's Cup

Post by Didereaux »

Dean Abramson wrote:... Unfortunately, none of these teams are truly national anymore.

Dean
Sad isn't it. I have always followed this race since a child. But when the finals are between 'Metamucil' and 'Preparation H' I swear that I'll quit!
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Dean Abramson

It gets worse

Post by Dean Abramson »

BMW Oracle (USA) just got thrashed by Emirates Team New Zealand.

Dideraux, do old sailors wear boxers or briefs?

Depends.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: It gets worse

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dean Abramson wrote:Dideraux, do old sailors wear boxers or briefs?
Cute.

Hey... this could be better than the wheel vs. tiller debate. (Don't hold your breath for it exceeding the locked/unlocked discussion, though.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: America's Cup

Post by Neil Gordon »

Didereaux wrote:But when the finals are between 'Metamucil' and 'Preparation H' I swear that I'll quit!
That's what you say now. Just wait... next time around you'll be more interested in both and next time after that, more interested once again.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Didereaux

boxers or briefs?....

Post by Didereaux »

Dideraux, do old sailors wear boxers or briefs?

Depends.[/quote]

Briefs when young, the bits can get tangled in the rigging...boxers when old, as greater needs outweigh fears of mutilation!

Depends? nah, they're for psychotic astronauts these days...they have no rails!

ducking&running
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
chase

too much!!!!!

Post by chase »

You guys crack me up. :D You're all nuts.

I'm glad I found you :wink:
Neil Gordon

Re: too much!!!!!

Post by Neil Gordon »

farmerchase wrote:You guys crack me up. :D You're all nuts.

I'm glad I found you :wink:
Aside from you, there are three of us that contributed (cough) to this thread. Can you be more specific?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Oracle was not interested in showing their real speed toTeam New Zealand, nor to the Alinghi boats which were out there in force watching. They are still the best boat in the entire fleet and the level of technology and intensity in the races this year is unmatched. I for one don't mind the mixing up of crews, just get the best! I've also followed the AC races since Ted Turner won with Courageous, and love what's going on this time around. I do miss old Dennis, but times change and life moves on.

As of Monday 14, the semifinal races will be broadcast on the Versus cable channel (previous Outdoor Life) every day from 8:30 to 11 am. for those interested. If you are suscribed to the incredible Live Sailing animations (as I am) you can also follow the excitement through the computer at the same time. It is fantastic.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

http://www.sailingmagazine.net/onthewind_0507.html
"Big money chased the scoundrels, and the fun, out of the Cup

I have to admit it. It’s been gnawing at me for months, perhaps even years. It’s a dreadful thing that I can’t control.

I’ve tried to hide it, but when I get around my sailing friends, it seems terribly obvious. I imagine they are looking at me sadly, shaking their heads at the person I’ve become. I wonder if they talk about me behind my back. I know that some of them don’t return my phone calls and, when I stop at the yacht club bar, there seem to be turned backs and averted eyes.

But I know there are many others out there who, like me, have been afraid to stand up and be counted. Who wake up in the morning and wonder why this has happened to them.

What is this terrible secret that is worse than the heartbreak of psoriasis or the shame of dandruff?

I’m not interested in the America’s Cup anymore...."

I agree with Chris Caswell. OBTW "Sailing" is a great publication.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (home of my moustache cup) MD
CDSOA Founding Member
JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Wise Old Nostrums

Post by JWEells »

A couple of thoughts. First of all, the answer to briefs or boxers is NEITHER. Real sailors wear mesh lined shorts for such long periods in between washings that they can stand on their own from accumulated grime, salt, sunscreen, and other bits of joie de vive. Or kilts. And in either case, there are no undergarments to speak of.

Second, regarding the America's Cup specifically but as a general rule, there is no activity so lovely and so worthwhile that Big Money can't come along as ruin it. Well, they can't ruin MY sailing day, but they can certainly ruin a good micro-culture. Morons, all of them.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Dean Abramson

Here's hoping

Post by Dean Abramson »

Zeida,

I hope you are right that Oracle has more still in hand.

I agree with many that all of this stuff is out of control, but heck, I follow Formula 1 auto racing too... Both are corporate orgies. But both can be pretty exciting. And the politics can be as fun to watch as the racing.

I'm into following the Cup. The American boat has a real chance. It will be fun to watch this unfold.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

The May 2007 issue of Sailing World is almost entirely devoted to the America's Cup. It provides details about the challenge, each team, the schedule of races, etc.

Despite my "tadpole" status and lack of ownership of a Cape Dory (or any sailboat for that matter :( ) I am very much interested in the America's Cup. I share the thoughts of those who remember Ted Turner, Dennis Conner, etc. I seem to recall that when Ted Turner won many years ago, he was a little "unsteady" from too much grog during the victory ceremony and slipped off his chair. Now that's having a good time :!: :)

I also remember when professional baseball (majors, AAA, AA - all levels) was played for fun by regular guys who hung out around the dugout or batting cage both before and after a game. Times change; priorities shift. My beloved Boston Red Sox may just do it again this year. :D

I think this will still be a terrific America's Cup race and thanks to Zeida's post, I hope to watch as much of it as possible - either on the Internet or on Cable TV, channel "VS". My only concern is if and when the American team is head to head against the Italian team. I am an American by birth and I deeply love my country. I am Sicilian Italian by the grace of God and am grateful to my parents, grandparents and a very long lineage of Sicilian Italian ancestors.

The Italian entry is named "Luna Rossa", a beautiful name for a sailboat. "Oracle" does not sound quite so beautiful, although I am sure it is very nice.

I hope it is all interesting, challenging, fun and safe and that no one team "runs away" with the Cup.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Sea Hunt: you should have loved +39, the Sicilian AC boat! They had an excellent boat, but the crew lacked time working together and were not too good on tactics, but their boat was indeed very fast! They will be back!

Hey, my great grandparents (on my father's side) are also from Sicily. they emigrated from there to the Canary Islands, where they became known as "the Sicilians" and changed their last name to Cecilia. From there, they continued to Cuba, where I was born.
Zeida
CDSOA Member