diesel problems...on a CD 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RonE58

diesel problem solved...

Post by RonE58 »

I spent a good part of the day working with a diesel tech from Mack Boring. He was slated to come out to my boat Monday but insisted on trying to walk me thru a number of things via the cell phone. With his advise I began the fuel bleeding process very thoroughly. After not getting any fuel passing thru the fuel pump he suggested getting a fresh can of diesel and connecting a hose directly.
After placing a new hose to the fuel pump directly I was able to see diesel pass thru the pump with no problem. I then bleed it thru the second filter and then the fuel injection pump. Nothing passed thru the fuel injection pump until I removed the delivery valve.
Then I bleed thru the coiled tubing just before the fuel injector, I had to cranked it 3 or 4 times.
After that I connected everything and low behold after a few cranks the engine started.
I let the engine run for 10 mins. I blew back thru the old hose going thru the first filter and back to the fuel tank until I heard a guggling in the tank. Then I connected everything back to the way it was. After a few cranks the engine kick over and I let it run for some 15 mins occasionally letting it all out.
The Mack Boring tec suggested I bleed the system again, but 5 hours was enough.
I owe a lot to mack Boring tech who saved me a bundle.
It was also a great exhilaration to finally get her steaming once again.
So in the end maybe it was algae stuck in the fuel line or an air pocket.
Ron
Russell

Post by Russell »

Congrats on being up and running again. What a great story of good customer service, sitting on the cell phone with you walking you through all of this. No doubt doing it this way you also learned a lot more about your engine then if a mechanic had shown up and done it for you, you certainly gained more confidence this way in doing it all yourself. I actually make a point of doing things this way, when I encounter a problem that is beyond my ability, I like to hire someone, not to do the job for me, but to consult, to show me how to fix it rather then fix it for me.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Anybody else think this sounds like a clog?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Once again, when was the last time the fuel filter(s) were changed? Could also be a sock on the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank that is clogged. Look for any sort of inspection cover(s) on the fuel tank or look if the pickup/return lines are on a removable plate. You might have a load of crud in the bottom of the fuel tank. Have you taken any rough voyages lately? If there is crud in the tank, it might have been loosen by the bouncing around. Might also want to try sometime to handle water in the fuel, if you think you may have taken some on. Dont over use it, though!!!
You should keep investigating, as I will bet real money, that it will come back, with the engine stalling again, if the source is not found.
RonE58

my yanmar

Post by RonE58 »

Hey Mark,
I replaced both fuel filters, one, last november and the other just last week.
I did sail her 250 miles in late sept.
I did add some (stuf)??) I bought from a local marine store for water in the diesel just last week. (how much is too much...)
Would you suggest emptying the diesel and cleaning out the tank?
Not to sure what you mean about 'a sock on the end of the fuel pickup line...' Before I put the boat in last week all the though hulls looked clean and open.
I have the same feeling but if the yanmar craps out again I'll deal with it. Its less intimidating to me now.
Thanks for your concern,
Ron
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Sounds to me like.........

Post by Jim Davis »

........ draining and cleaning the tank is a real good idea. The "stuff" you added in the fall could well have gelled the crud that lives in diesel and caused it to settle to the bottom of the tank. When you hit rough seas the crud gets stirred up and you suck it into the pickup tube. If you have a screen on the pickup tube it will get covered and reduce/stop the flow. Your comments about the "stuff" and success after blowing through the fuel hose triggered this reaction.

One question The filter you just took off How did the inside look?

Without any details - Been there, done that and a good cleaning solved the problem. This happened to me on a boat that had sat for two years with full tanks. Ran great till the first really nasty day, then the fun began.

Good luck.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei