safety gear suggestions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rodcapedory

safety gear suggestions

Post by rodcapedory »

looking for safety gear recommendations for CD330 making trip from RockHall Md up the Jersey coast to Perth Amboy. I have basic coast guard safety gear but am wondering what else those who make this trip carry.

Thanks

Rod
jerryaxler

safety items

Post by jerryaxler »

Iwould have jacklines,spare gps,comfortable pfd's,charts for entire trip,searchlight and at least a dinghy to abandon ship in addition to the usual CG requirements.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

gear

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Rod,

Given you already have one of the best boats I know of the next best safety gear, for me, is a good weather window, fair tide, no time table and last but not least good capable crew.

We also file a boat plan with friends when we go offshore.

As a rule, we try and sail round the clock on long passages, staying at sea as long as possible. We put harnesses on for rough weather and always for the helmsman at night.

A Spare GPS and floating handheld VHF inside a strobe equipped, ditch bag with flares, rations, etc. inside.

Since we sail the Great Lakes and beyond we always carry a small variety of personal exposure suits any time our boat leaves the dock. The Mustang Work overalls have proven to be esepcially nice on wet and cold helm tricks.

The safety gear list for each of us is sometimes endless, so I'll stop there. Least I bore you with LaVida's endless list of safety gear and spares :wink:

Best wishes for a safe and comfortable passage.

Rit
Last edited by s.v. LaVida on May 2nd, '07, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Rod I sent you a PM

Post by Ldybg »

Rod I sent you a PM

Ladybug
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Rod - You have received good information so far, and I can only offer as few additonal thoughts for your consideration:
- We use flat webbing as our jacklines. The flat webbing avoids rolling underfoot when you step on it. They run bow to stern cleats on each side and allow full helm and deck access without unclipping. Auto-inflatting harnesses are also required on all crew once the sun sets.
- We each keep a waterproof flashlight in our jacket pockets at all times when making overnight passages.
- Knowledge of your vessel, crew, seas, and basic port options is always the best safety measure. Have contingency plans for the entire route and know when / where you can find shelter if needed.....once something goes wrong or the weather turns it is too late to try and weigh all the options.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Give each person a personal strobe light to attach to their PFD. These are not very expensive and will significantly increase the likelihood of finding a COB at night.

[img]http://images.westmarine.com/full/32788_f.jpg[/img]

Also give each person a whistle.

[img]http://images.westmarine.com/full/372318.jpg[/img]
rodcapedory

safey gear

Post by rodcapedory »

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions. Much to learn before this is over !!

Blessings Rod