Where can i find a typhoon rudder bearing?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lotis
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Lotis. Raleigh, North Carolina

Where can i find a typhoon rudder bearing?

Post by Lotis »

Having trouble finding a rudder bearing for my 1976 Typhoon. Wondered if anyone new of a source. Thanks.
Tynaje
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender(a friend suggested naming the boat DNR) no name, Westerly Rhode Island

Post by Tynaje »

Try here. http://robinhoodmarinecenter.com/ this article seems to send people in the direction of Robinhood. the article is from 2000 though.http://www.toolworks.com/capedory/typho ... oner17.pdf
Rollergirl

Truck seat bearing

Post by Rollergirl »

That's how I remember the description when I ordered a sample pack of 3/4" ID flanged seat bearings from some company who's name escapes me. When I shipped out the last one several years ago, I posted regarding the company I bought them from. Perhaps you could do a seach here.

Bill Bloxham
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Bill's source

Post by NevisTyphoon »

I'll take two......

Riches await you.
Well, not really.
About 7 years ago I needed a rudder bearing for my Ty, and wound up getting just what I needed (and then some) from Thomson Industries. Now I've run out of stock (got two left for myself) and feel it's time to pass this wonderful opportunity on.
The sample bag of 25 Thomson sent me cost about $58 shipped to me, and I sold the 21 I didn't use for $4.00 each. Took 6 years. Smarter capitalists then myself can now be market makers themselves. Anyone ready to step up?

Contact Thomson Industries
Molded Products Division
2 Channel Drive
Port Washington, NY 10050
800-544-8466
www.thomsonindustries.com/PolymerBearings.htm

The part number is 951218 Type 5

And heres a extra special inducement: If you request their catalog (Nyliner bearings), I'll bet you could find suitable bearings for other CD's, and even other sailboats that wern't born so lucky.

Riches await you. This may change your life. You will owe me forever.

Good luck
Bill Bloxham
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Lotis
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Lotis. Raleigh, North Carolina

thomson no longer sells to individuals

Post by Lotis »

Apparently thomson has been bought by another company that no longer sells to individuals. I do have another company that sells with no minimum orders sending me some samples to see if anything they stock fits.
Rollergirl

Try the sample pack

Post by Rollergirl »

If I remember correctly, the minimum order was thousands of pieces. The operator offered me an evaluation pack to see if the part "met my specifications".

Bill
Rollergirl

Or how about this...

Post by Rollergirl »

at www.mcmaster.com

part # 57785K226

Not sure the inner diameter of the rudder tube is 7/8", or whatever (sold the boat5 years ago), but you could look around.
If this is not the right size, McMaster has a large similar selection. Try flanged bearing, then drill down thru the materials types.
Reasonable prices, too.

Bill
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Rudder Post Bearing

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

Several of us Ty owners have been sending PMs and emails between ourselves with one question in mind. The answer of which will arouse several more questions.

We don't have a rudder post bearing at all. When did CD start using these bearings? We have no gland fitting, just a shaft and the post rising up through it. I have never had any water intrusion up through the rudder shaft when under way.

Is there any major benefit to having a bearing on the rudder post. (I'm presuming that the bearing is on the rudder post.) If not, where is the bearing's location?

To anyones knowledge, was there any malfunction with the Ty's steering assembly that necessitated the inclusion of this bearing?

Thanks for any info that you may provide.
O J
marilou

Source

Post by marilou »

I believe, I have a local source for bearing...if anyone has specs...actual sample. We are talking about the bearing, and not the bushing?
Rollergirl

696 had a bushing

Post by Rollergirl »

and was made in 1974, if I remember correctly.

The advantage of the bushing is twofold. First, it stops most of the water that comes up through the rudder shaft tube, and secondly, the tiller feels smoother during small increment movements.

When I first removed my tiller and peered into the tube, I only saw a small remanent of the original bushing. Most of it had worn away and, I guess, fell out the bottom.

As part of the replacement I lifted the rudder as much as I could, sanded the junk off the rudder shaft, and inserted a piece of sandpaper to scrub the shaft housing too. The reassembly got some waterproof grease.

The water thru the tube effect used to bother me somewhat, but caused great furor with my non-sailor guests, who thought we were sinking. The bushing/grease fix, along with some stoppers in the cockpit drains alleviated all that.

Bill