Drip tray on CD31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dean Abramson

Idea

Post by Dean Abramson »

Bill, I'm sorry I have no thoughts on the stuffing box.

Re the hose and tunnel: I think what I am going to do is caulk a short piece of hose from the aft end of the tunnel, thru it, to a valve just forward of the dam. Then forward of the valve, another foot of hose down toward the bilge.

Normally, I will leave the valve closed, so I can monitor the drip tray for oil leaks and stuffing box drip. But if I want to clean up the drip tray, I will swab/rinse it out, then collect the water, etc., in a bottle which I hold over the bilge, with the hose stuck into the mouth. Then re-close the valve.

I might even put a stopper in the aft end of the hose, so that the hose itself does not stay full. Otherwise, I will not be able to see the drip's progress until the hose fills back from the valve to the drip tray.

Once I get around to this, I will send a photo.

I personally would not want a line from the drip tray to the shower sump. In my boat, the sump's outlet hose goes to a water filter before it gets to the electric water pump. I think that oily liquid would gum up that filter, and I am not sure if that pump is made for anything but water (and soap). Also, inevitably, someone will shower without checking the level of the sump (the ice melt goes here too), and when the sump overflows, it goes you know where. The bilge.

One reason I am becoming so compulsive about a dry bilge is that last year (our first season with this boat), the bilge stunk to high heaven. My wife's theory is that the holding tank is leaking into the bilge, but I refuse to entertain that dreadful thought until I can rule out everything else. I seriously doubt that is what is happening. Once I am sure it is not going to freeze again, I am going to fill the holding tank (now dry) with water, and my currently dry bilge should then tell the tale.

Has anyone ever heard of the holding tank, in this configuration, leaking into the bilge?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Bill Sonntag

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Thanks and here are a couple of observations. First your caution about the shower sump set up is well taken. Second, a holding tank to bilge leak is not impossible but highly unlikely. As you have seen from the numerous posts, smelly bilges are not unusual. Any minor leak or seepage of any fitting, or simply older fittings that have become permeated with sewerage are going to cause an disproportionate odor in a confined space. I have slowly replaced all sanitary lines, the y valve the head itself. In addition I do a once a year clean up of the top of the holding tank the feed line under the floor boards etc just for extra measure. One line I have not replaced, and I know it needs to be done, is the vent line from the holding tank to the transom. One quick whiff makes it obvious this has to be tackled.

Finally, don't underestimate the ability of simple gray water to turn foul. I know I will be warned of the dangers to fittings etc, but try a cap full or two of plain old Clorox bleach in the bilge. I do it a few times a season especially when its real warm and it definitely kills the bio-miasma and keeps the smell down.

Happy Sailing

Bill Sonntag
Dean Abramson

Thanks

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks, everyone.

Bill, you might want to start a new thread on the stuffing box question. It's kind of lost here in a fairly obscure thread.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine