anyone know of a self steering rig for the Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lotis
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Lotis. Raleigh, North Carolina

anyone know of a self steering rig for the Typhoon?

Post by Lotis »

Is there a windvane small enough for the Ty or am i going to have to make one? Most i've seen seem to big and heavy for the stern.
Dick Barthel

Suggestion

Post by Dick Barthel »

I suggest you send a private email to Tod Mills. He knows a lot about wind vanes and small sailing craft. I don't recall seeing him posting on the board lately so an email might help.

Dick
Tynaje
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender(a friend suggested naming the boat DNR) no name, Westerly Rhode Island

Post by Tynaje »

Lotis
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Lotis. Raleigh, North Carolina

self steering,

Post by Lotis »

do you have tod mills email address? i'd love to send him a message!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Self Steering

Post by Oswego John »

Also check into Didereaux's name on Search. He did extensive research on self steering.

O J
Dick Barthel

Re: self steering,

Post by Dick Barthel »

Lotis wrote:do you have tod mills email address? i'd love to send him a message!
Lotis - just find his name in any post (use search feature - "Tod Mills") and once at a post just click on his Profile. There is a button for a Private Message.

Dick
Didereaux

Lotis, yes....

Post by Didereaux »

Lotis,
The Navik is to my knowledge the smallest windvane commercially available. I used one on a CD-25, but at around 30 lbs and small footprint it would work as well on a Typhoon. It is, however pricey, unless you find a used one. There is quite a support group around Walt Murrays' build your own and a quick search on the net will yield lots of info. But caution, it takes a lot of work, and a lot of fiddling to build one that finally suits your needs. If you do not have a shop and tools and have to hire the parts to be made it can become very costly.

As windvanes go, one thing to keep squarely in mind is they are NOT convenient for daysailng, or gunkholing where you do a lot of manuevering.

My suggestion for those activities is look into sheet to tiller self steering, and as OJ mentioned earlier contact Tod Mills on that one.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007