Propeller removal suggestions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ricks
Hull #169
Provincetown, MA

Propeller removal suggestions

Post by ricks »

I attempted to remove my propeller last spring with a borrowed prop puller and after working on it for quite awhile gave up - it was not important, I just wanted to try a different pitch prop (the original) I have laying around.

Last fall I gave it another go when the boat was pulled with the same results so I prepared by soaking the prop all winter with wd40 - at least once a week throughout the winter. I went online and read prop puller reviews and bought the one with the best reviews. I have spent at least 4-5 hours recently cranking, then cranking and tapping, then cranking and tapping harder, then heating, then heating and cranking harder, then heating and cranking harder and tapping, and I think you get the picture - this darned thing has not budged. I am concerned I am going to damage the prop shaft, or spring the prop puller.

I am at my wits end and was hoping that someone had a suggestion, a siver bullet, a magical technique or tool or something that might actually get this thing busted loose.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Rick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Remove Prop

Post by Oswego John »

Rick,

I can offer no silver bullet or magical technique. Just some things that worked for me in the past. Where to start?

I guess that I should mention that you might have soaked the prop in something stronger than WD-40. WD stands for water displacement and the 40 represents the 40th formulae they tried that worked.

Even though the manufacturers claim that it is a penetrant, I would recommend that you try some stronger penetrating oil such as Kroil, Marvel Mystery Oil or P-7 penetrating oil. There are many other brands , but they should be legitimate penetrating fluids.

When the obvious methods don't seem to work, time to look for the not so obvious. What kind of heat did you apply? Propane torch? Mapp gas? Prestolite? Acetylene? Is it possible that you didn't apply enough heat? For a long enough time?

Did you try to shrink the shaft with ice water? Dry ice? CO² is effective but costs too much $$$. Probably some law against it, anyway.

Last, but not least, did you use a dead blow hammer?

After all is said and done, people have much less trouble when they buy a tube of never-seize compound, which will last ten years or more. Especially for use in salt water.

Good luck,
O J
Neil Kozlowski

Keep the pressure on to remove the prop

Post by Neil Kozlowski »

I agree with Oswego John on the choice of oil. Use a good penetrating oil. Put in oil on both sides of the prop until it starts to drip. Do this as often as you can for at least a couple of days. In addition, if can do so without losing ( someone permanently borrowing your equipment) your puller, keep pulling pressure on the prop. This will may help the oil penetrate. Keep oiling and adding a bit more pressure. It will eventually "pop".

Good luck.
Neil Kozlowski
Ariel CD330 #146
Tom Keevil

Think Big

Post by Tom Keevil »

The first time we tried to remove our prop we were having no success. We had a prop puller cranked as hard as we dared, were heating it with our heat gun and hitting it with our ball peen hammer - all to no effect.

The neighboring boat in the yard was an old tuna fisherman who scoffed at our feeble effort, brought over his BIG propane torch and his BIG hammer. Popped it right off. He then gave us a glob of Never Sieze when we put the new prop on. Think BIG.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Stan W.

Not clear where you have been "tapping."

Post by Stan W. »

The trick is to apply lots of pressure to the prop hub with the prop puller and then give a sharp hammer blow to the end of the prop shaft, either directly or by striking the end of the prop puller, depending on what kind tool you are using. If striking directly, put a nut on the end of the prop shaft to protect the threads. If the prop doesn't pop off, you probably didn't whack hard enough.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

I had luck by putting a lot of pressure on the prop with a big puller and then hitting the prop hub from the side (90 degree angle from the shaft). It popped off with quite a force.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Foolproof method

Post by Neil Gordon »

Use lots of penetrating oil, prop puller and repeated hammer smacks. Then give up. Go sailing, return, motor into slip a bit too fast and put engine cleanly in reverse. Prop will no doubt fall right off.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Remove Prop

Post by Oswego John »

All of the above applies.

I have best results when using a dead blow, lead shot or molded lead hammer head while pressure is being applied.

FWIW, I don't want to use a light weight, tempered steel peen like a carpenter's hammer. It seems to have a tendency to bounce off the work. The heavier dead blow drives the prop with full momentum.

I try to use a hammer that the peen is a softer metal than the piece being driven. Besides, I don't want to put any dings in the prop.

O J
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

For a penetrating oil, may I suggest PB Blast. That has gotten me out of several pickles when WD-40 and others have not. A battle-scarred mechanic told me about it and I have never gone back.

Otherwise, I mostly think what others have said here sounds about right.

Good luck,
Paul