New Open Cockpit Typhoon owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

New Open Cockpit Typhoon owner

Post by s.v. LaVida »

You know how it happens, I was driving by a boatyard and saw, sitting behind a fence, a minature version of my beloved "LaVida" (CD33), minus a cockpit and I immediately fell in love.

A quick call to the phone number taped to her hull resulted in learning she had just been placed on the market, hours before.

A flurry of phone calls, some research on the board along with some soul searching and the plunge was taken, I bought "Dorothy" hook, line and anchor.

Now I've two Cape Dory's to take care of!

She is a 1975 CD open cockpit Typhoon daysailor, hull #4, built in 1975.

Does anyone have a full boat picture of this model rigged? I especially need the specs for the club footed jib.

Many thanks in advance,
Rit
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Congrats on the new baby!

Post by bhartley »

Sorry I don't have any photos, but I'm sure you'll find her great fun to sail. You really can't have too many Cape Dorys!

Happy Sailing Dorothy!

Bly
wingreen

daysailer rig

Post by wingreen »

Nice job.

A few months back when I was thinking about how to cutter/ gaff-rig a Typhoon, it occurred to me that this model might be the best place to start.

Has anyone ever put a bowsprit on a Typhoon?
plumber

congrats

Post by plumber »

Well congrats on your new toy!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen pictures of this boat but I can,t remember where. If I find them I'll let you know.
There is a type of addiction that comes with a small boat and you find yourself wanting to sail it a lot more than the other. I've started to think about a camping trip with my little boat around the east end of the lake.
Have fun with it! congrats
Brace
Dick Villamil

Typhoon Daysailer

Post by Dick Villamil »

Congrats - I too did the same thing - I bought a Typhoon weekender in need of a lot of work - in between racing and cruising on my 34' C&C I restored her and now really enjoy touching the water again! You should find many Daysailer photos on this web site in the archives. There are several messages with links to photos of some nice looking CD DS models. Good luck!
s.v. LaVida

thanks everyone

Post by s.v. LaVida »

thank you one and all for the best wishes for "Dorothy" and her new home.

My significant other tells me I've got to buy some ruby shoes now!

Rit
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Typhoon Day Sailer

Post by Oswego John »

Mike (Rit),

Congratulations. Those large boats are functional and all of that stuff. What you have now is a FUN boat. You sail these little gems by the seat of your pants.

Oh yes, you can push these Tys as far as you dare. You can use more canvas than your mother taught you to use, bury the rail if you like. Even spend a white knuckle afternoon that you will treasure for many years that you will not soon forget.

And then, on the flip side of the coin, these Tys are so gentle and forgiving that I consider them a splendid vessel to teach the newbie what sailing is really all about. The ultimate compliment I can think of is that your new boat is the ideal boat to give to Jesse to let him develope his sailing skills to near what you possess. You better be careful, he just might be sailing circles around his old man someday. Maybe you better save a trump card for that showdown. He's doing pretty good so far.

BTW, I've got some full page pictures for you. I'll bring them with me when we go to Erie with Mike.

So, again, congrats and best of luck with your new baby.

Later,
O J
Judith

On the website

Post by Judith »

There are a couple links to photos in the "About Cape Dorys" material (plus owner's manual, etc).

http://www.capedory.org/specs/typhoon.htm
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Richard Bell

Open cockpit typhoon

Post by Richard Bell »

There was one in a issue of good old boat magazine about 6-9 months ago. The lady had restored her and she (both her and the boat) was very impressive. I am sure there is a way of contacting her thru the magazine. Good luck I have always wanted one of those, I think only 30 something of them were made.
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
Oswego John

Ty Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

Rick,

You are correct. Rit called me one evening to tell me of his good fortune in finding a Ty Daysailer and asked me what did I think. I told him that they were scarcer than hen's teeth. No matter what the condition, jump on it. If he didn't want it, I'd be there in a heartbeat. As it turned out, the Ty was in beautiful shape and he latched on to it.

Ha ha, Rit was super-reticent to mention the Ty to anyone until the purchase was consumated. A few evenings ago I received a call from Rit, it was now a done deal. "Say what you want to anyone you care to." He was happier than a P clam at high tide.

And that's how it goes, sometimes.
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Apr 16th, '07, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Barthel

Daysailer

Post by Dick Barthel »

Hey Rit,

That is one classy looking Cape Dory. You're going to have a ball with her and a whole lot less upkeep than La Vida. From OJ's description you really struck it rich. Your timing is remarkable.

Congratulations,

Dick
Oswego John

Re: Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

Dick Barthel wrote:Hey Rit,

From OJ's description you really struck it rich. Your timing is remarkable.

Dick

Struck it rich? Nah, not even close. I'm too embarrassed to make known the details and what came with the deal. :oops:

My boy, Mike, is going down to Erie, Pa to tow it home. Another vessel in the Great Lakes Armada.

Now if it would only stop snowing,
O J
wingreen

Re: congrats

Post by wingreen »

plumber wrote:...There is a type of addiction that comes with a small boat and you find yourself wanting to sail it a lot more than the other.
Ditto on the addiction of small boats. I like to try launching out of as many different ports as I can, which is harder to do w/ a large boat. I find myself looking up all the little boat ramps that dot the Gulf Coast, and looking for a way to plan a day-sail. Not all of them are deep enough to use at all tides, so I also have to plan around the tides in some cases. The nice part about little ramps w/ shallow channels is that there tends to be less traffic, fewer motorboaters, etc. My favorite little spot is Aripeka, FL.
s.v. LaVida

thanks ladies and lads

Post by s.v. LaVida »

I'm really excited about the whole deal.

I just added her to the CD roster above.

Now I'm thinking of how to rig "Dorothy" davits on "EOS"!

Rit
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

If you figure that out

Post by Jim Davis »

Please let me know. Sandy's open Ty is the sweetest sailing boat I've seen in a long time. I thought about towing it, but the one ton goose is more than I want to give my transom.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei