Valaskjalf redone

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Valaskjalf redone

Post by JWEells »

I'll put up some nicely detailed photos of shiny new rigging later today, but the big deal is posted here:

http://web.mac.com/alpine.island/iWeb/J ... kjalf.html

I'm an oiled teak kind of a guy, so I'll be oiling and painting some new non-skid, but for yesterday and today and for the rest of the Summer we are now in the water.
Last edited by JWEells on Apr 12th, '07, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Looking good. I really like the burgundy sunbrella.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
JWEells

How predictable

Post by JWEells »

I put the Valaskjalf in the water, and now we're having blizzards mixed with dust storms.

Yeah, I wondered how that happened, too. Turns out there's full blown dust storms going on in the desert which is 4000' below Lake Arrowhead, and the huge clouds of desert ick are blowing up to the top of the San Bernardino Mountains where we are having snow storms. Weirdest thing in the world: a brown blizzard. Sounds nearly intestinal (with apologies to Mssr. Vigor).

I imagine there will be a short period of washing down before the next day out sailing.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: How predictable

Post by Neil Gordon »

JWEells wrote:I put the Valaskjalf in the water, and now we're having blizzards mixed with dust storms.
I did the same thing here... took the cover off a few weeks ago; it hasn't stopped snowing, sleeting, hailing, temp in the 30's ever since (more or less).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

nice

Post by wingreen »

Hey, that's a really nice job on your Typhoon, JW.

What does the name mean?
JWEells

Thanks, Wingreen

Post by JWEells »

I'm looking forward to the rest of the projects, but those are all above the waterline so I just wanted to go sailing. I've borrowed a line from the Matrix: "You never really know someone until you fight them". Except I say "You never really know your boat until you grind off twenty-five years of bottom paint and look the naked gelcoat in the eye." Or something like that.

"Valaskjalf" is the name of Odin's personal hall in Asgard. Everybody knows about Valhalla, but Valaskjalf is where Odin went to kick back and have a few frosty horn-fulls of mead. Well, that and observe the entire Nine Worlds from his throne, named Hlidskjalf. I'm a little nutty this way about Norse theology.
Cuique Sententia Mea
wingreen

...by the hornfull

Post by wingreen »

Anyplace where you can have a few hornfulls of meade is a good name for a sailing vessel.

I'm currently in the process of refitting mine, which I just acquired over the Christmas holiday. I'm pretty fortunate b/c she was well-cared-for by her previous owners, so I have only minor projects to consider.
JWEells

Bump the photo link...

Post by JWEells »

New name on transom, transom painted, rigged, floating, sailing. Life is beautiful.

http://web.mac.com/alpine.island/iWeb/J ... kjalf.html
Cuique Sententia Mea