Looking for CD 25D Pics

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Looking for CD 25D Pics

Post by bhartley »

I'm specifically looking for pictures where anyone has moved the companionway steps to the front of the engine cover.

I'm also looking for pictures of teak cockpit grates. Our existing grate (for our SS23) is roughly the right dimensions, but I don't know how to handle the large teak plate around the rudder post.

Our new 25D is pretty stock and we're trying to avoid making too many permanent changes before we have a season of sailing her, but the companionway steps are on the "need-to-go-now" list.

Happy Spring Commissioning,

Bly
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Good Morning Bly

Sometime back there was a discussion on this topic, but I cant find it. Two boats that I am aware of made this upgrade and both owners were pleased. One boat was Witness, owned by a gentleman from Hope, AR. You might find his contact information in the Registry.

The other boat was a Colorado boat and I can't remember the owner's name or that of his boat. I am not sure he is still sailing at all, let alone a CD.

I believe the "upgrade" would be a very valuable thing to do. I have the replace piece already cut out, but just haven't done anything with it. More often than not, I just use a plastic tub on the galley top and avoid using the sink in most cases.

I do agree with you that the companionway stairs are a PITA with trying to do anything under the bridge deck or in the engine compartment. If you come up with some unique design please let us all know.

Good luck and Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Looking for CD 25D Pics

Post by Neil Gordon »

bhartley wrote:I'm also looking for pictures of teak cockpit grates. Our existing grate (for our SS23) is roughly the right dimensions, but I don't know how to handle the large teak plate around the rudder post.
My grate is in two pieces for easy handling, a large forward piece (about 2/3 of the cockpit) and a smaller aft piece. The aft piece simply has a cut out around the rudder post/plate. The grate slips over the tiller and is then dropped into place. A single piece grate would work the same.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bly:

The gentleman who owns the CD 25D ("Witness") in Arkansas is "Keith Wood". It is hull number 182 built 1985. He sent me several pictures of her. They were all exterior photos but she looked to be in Bristol condition.

He did not send any cabin shots so I do not know anything about the cabin steps issue.

I will try to send to a PM with his email address.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bly:

I tried searching for his name and vessel, etc. on the CDSOA search sites and came up with "zero".

It occurs to me that I should check with him and get his permission before giving out his private email address. I sent him an email a few minutes ago. I am sure he will say it is OK. He was very, very kind to me and very helpful with offering suggestions about my efforts to find a CD.

As soon as I hear back from him I will contact you via a PM.

Bill, I looked at Bly's CD 25D back in June 2005. The owners at that time were very experienced sailors from St. Augustine. They also owned a very nice Pacific Seacraft.

Anyway, on the CD 25D, I distinctly remember that they had affixed a swivel-type hinge to each leg of the companionway steps where the legs attach to the bottom of the companionway. I believe they had removed the "pins" that hold the legs to a mount on the companionway entrance area. They showed me how, whenever they need to access the engine compartment, they just swing the steps up and attached it to a small hook affixed to the cabin roof. It seemed like a neat and simply solution. The steps were out of the way and the engine compartment easily accessible.

Another possible solution :?:

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Bly:

I just heard back from Keith Wood. I am sending you a PM with his email address.

He said he does not have pictures available of the steps and does not presently have a digital camera. Perhaps you can talk with him about how/what he did.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Judith

Bly, grate for 270

Post by Judith »

In the "Owners' websites" section of the board is a link to Glen Rountree's website, with some project photos of his CD 270 "Obsession". He shows several shots of the grate he built, including a couple showing how it fits around the rudder post.

I've been coveting that grate (and sneaking up on the idea of making one) ever since we bought Morveren. So I emailed Glen, and he kindly responded with a few further construction details. I'd be glad to PM those along to you if you're interested.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Thanks!!!

Post by bhartley »

Thanks Judith. Glen's picture is exactly what I was looking for. I even have the perfect piece to finish the top. Now I just need the weather to warm up enough to work outside again.

I have several offers of pictures from 25D owners on the steps and hope to have some arrive shortly.

Bly
Dick Barthel

Solves half of the problem...

Post by Dick Barthel »

Sea Hunt wrote: Anyway, on the CD 25D, I distinctly remember that they had affixed a swivel-type hinge to each leg of the companionway steps where the legs attach to the bottom of the companionway. I believe they had removed the "pins" that hold the legs to a mount on the companionway entrance area. They showed me how, whenever they need to access the engine compartment, they just swing the steps up and attached it to a small hook affixed to the cabin roof. It seemed like a neat and simply solution. The steps were out of the way and the engine compartment easily accessible.

Another possible solution :?:

Fair winds,
I have that same set up on my 25D. That solves the engine access issue but not the access to the sink. Many have called the location of the sink one of the weakest features of the 25D (e.g., Mr Vigor). I certainly agree but you live with it. With the hanging ladder set up, also be prepared during the sailing season for a continous lump on the port side of your skull. Inevitably it happens after you've been on your knees for hours battling a stubborn seacock. #!&#!%

I assume the modification is attached some how to the engine cover?

Dick
Emil Maurer

Looking for CD25D Pics

Post by Emil Maurer »

I have such a ladder attached to the engine compartment cover.
I don't have any pictures of it. My boat is still in its winter wraps. Am waiting for the weather to warm and the mud around the cradle to dry up.
The oak and mahogany ladder which has two or three steps, can't recall??? works very well and opens the sink and aft area effectively. The fiberglass bulkheads provide enough support. The ladder is supported by two battens which fit beneath the top and bottom step. The battens are thru-bolted to the compartment cover with a backing batten on the inside. I secured the ladder with loose pin hinges so that it could be removed. In practice that wasn't necessary. I just takeout the cover, ladder and all.
The only drawback is that the stepdown to the topstep of the ladder is a little longer than usual. ( a 12" riser is normal?) This adjustment wasn't difficult. With an agitated sea it is better to back down the companionway facing the two side handles and the ladder. The other drawback is that you have to remove the hatch and storage box at the top of the compartment to gain access to the two toggles which lock the cover into position. Engineering some front unlocking solution to release the cover would be a big improvement as you go in and out to open and close the seacock for the engine cooling water.
Emil Maurer
barfwinkle

Pics Please

Post by barfwinkle »

Emil

As soon as you are capable I for one would love to see some pics of your companionway ladder.

Thank you.

Bill
Bill Member #250.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Yes!! Pictures please!

Post by bhartley »

Emil,

You've added a whole new wrinkle to my thinking as I had my steps permanently attached as they are on our SS23. Removable would be even better.

Please provide any pictures and measurements as soon as the mud clears up.

Think sun!

Bly
Keith Wood

Witness' Companionway Steps

Post by Keith Wood »

Since Witness has been brought into this discussion by Bar..in OK, and Seaht in FL, I will reply on her behalf. Yes, She has steps that are built into the engine cover. Photos also show the engine top cover that has been hinged and the storage box below. This was somewhat patterned after the OK 25-D. The side braces on the steps are made of oak. The steps are the originals that were built into the structure. The top engine cover was modified so it could be opened with the steps in place. The original front engine cover is cut so the steps fit recessed, and a back was made from the cutout pieces. Hope this helps. I will email photos upon request. You can request them either on the board or with pm.
Bruce Ebling

Steps

Post by Bruce Ebling »

I think that many of us 25D owners would have a great interest in photos of modified steps. Is it possible that some photos could be posted so we can all benefit from your inquiry?
Thanks
Bruce Ebling
Dick Barthel

Re: Steps

Post by Dick Barthel »

Bruce Ebling wrote:I think that many of us 25D owners would have a great interest in photos of modified steps. Is it possible that some photos could be posted so we can all benefit from your inquiry?
Thanks
Bruce Ebling
Bruce,

After I saw and copied the teak engine control box that you so beautifully fashioned, I'd love to see you take a crack at your own design for steps. Maybe we can turn this into a competition!

Dick