Need recommendation for boat transport RI to MA

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KDreese
Hingham, MA

Need recommendation for boat transport RI to MA

Post by KDreese »

I have a CD25 I need moved from Portsmouth, Rhode Island to Hingham, MA (approx 65 miles) and need recommendations for boat transporters (or if someone had a trailer for a CD25 I could borrow). This is my first "big" boat and dont feel comfortable sailing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

KD
"Life begins at 2 knots."
mahalocd36

Brownell..

Post by mahalocd36 »

We use Brownell to move our boat.
http://www.brownellsystems.com/
Highly recommended.

I'm sure people would help you sail it however. Plenty of people on this board have experience moving a 25' a lot further than that over water. I'm sure if you post the dates you have in mind you'll have some volunteers.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Clay Stalker

Get a Friend and Sail it!!

Post by Clay Stalker »

I mean no disrespect, and I can appreciate your hesitation. But if at all possible, get a friend to help you sail it up. You will have a blast and really learn about the boat. Take your time. Years ago, I bought a Quickstep 24 in Kittery, Maine and found a friend to help me sail it to Warwick, Rhode Island. Took us 4 days, and what fun we had. Not to be missed.

Brownell Boat Transport in Mattapoisett, Mass. has a good reputation for moving boats.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

What Clay said

Post by Neil Gordon »

It's a fun sail if you have the time to spend the overnights. In 20 mile or so legs, you're safely in port after half a sailing day. You'll learn plenty about your boat and how it behaves in a variety of conditions.

There's lots of local knowledge on the board. I'm happy to help with a leg from Scituate to Hingham.

One other option... compare land transport with the cost of hiring a delivery skipper.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ed Haley

Boat Delivery

Post by Ed Haley »

IMHO, you have no better class of boaters here on the CD Board who would help you sail the boat to MA. Especially if you get a volunteer that has a CD25. I think pretty much we all agree it would be the best experience of bringing your boat home. Plus, it's easier on the boat than trailering.

Neil is right. When you compare the price of a 6-Pack delivery captain, you may have to buy an extra 6-pack when the trip is done!!!

Priceless!
Stan W.

What is your timing and what will you have for a motor?

Post by Stan W. »

I might be persuaded to help with a leg from Onset to Scituate. As noted previously, however, you absolutely, positively must have a reliable motor when you transit the canal.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Aside from a solid motor

Post by henry hey »

I brought my CD25 to NYC from Niantic (120+ miles I think I remember).

There are a couple things I would check into on your boat;

Reefs -- you should have at MINIMUM 1 reef for your mainsail and lines to tie it. It would be much better to have two.

A storm Jib. If you have one, it sure is a nice thing if it starts kicking up.

CD25s are pretty ineffectual without a headsail, and some cloth upfront will help you stabilize in any heavy stuff. It's amazing how that boat locks in with the right sails as opposed to nothing up.

Foul weather gear. We didn't have gear with us. HUGE mistake.

Extra fuel. Just buy a tank from your local marine store and fill it up.
You will be glad you did.

But, by all means, sail that trip.

Ya know. . I might be willing to come up and make the trip with you if you like.

-henry
Pete S

Sail it!

Post by Pete S »

It will be cheaper and very rewarding. Just get the rigging and motor well checked before you go. Be prepared to arrange to leave it on a mooring somewhere midway if the weather doesn't co operate.
Previous posts were correct, there are many who will help. I'd be happy to help bring you from Westport to Onset.
Dean Abramson

You're the skipper

Post by Dean Abramson »

KD,

While I share the enthusiasm of the "sail-it" contingent, I don't know your boat or your familiarity with it, your experience level, or what time of year you are hoping to do this. I think you should operate within your own comfort level.

Truck it if that's what you are comfortable with. I used a guy named Phil Voyeur (Voyeurger Transport) who is based in Cape Cod. I got his name off this board from another satisfied customer. Phil brought my boat from NC to Maine on the basis of a phone call, with no money down. Showed up ahead of schedule. Total pro and nice guy. Let me know if you want his number, and I will search for it. NC to Maine was 3K; I doubt your move would break the bank, particularly if you told him he could do it when it best fits in.

Best of luck, whether by sea or by land. Hang the appropriate lantern in a church tower to let us know what you do.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hang A Lantern In The Steeple

Post by Oswego John »

Dean,

Please clarify the lantern(s) statement.

Does that signify one if by land (transport), or two if by sea (sail it there)?

Sounds like déja vu all over again. Sort of rings a bell. Think it happened once before somewhere up there in New England.

Whatever,
O J
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Delivery

Post by SeaBelle »

KD,

Brownell has a very good rep. Having said that, I second those recommending that you get some experienced crew and sail it. think about it. A volunteer(s) offering free delivery, sailing instruction, war stories, and all round good company. Such a deal.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Find someone who also has a CD25 and is willing to go along.

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Probably no better way to learn the tricks about the boat.
Dean Abramson

New England Lore

Post by Dean Abramson »

OJ,

I am actually from New Orleans originally, but I have heard a legend about this New England dude riding around on a horse secretly warning folks about the British.

And somehow he managed to do all this while simultaneously leading a rock & roll band! It's incredible. Maybe the British are easy to fool. Maybe they were not attacking, but actually were lost in Iranian territorial waters.

KD,

Don't get me wrong: it would be a nice trip in decent weather, if you and the boat/motor are up to it. When are you hoping to make the move? (Today, here in Maine, it is snowing.)

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: New England Lore

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dean Abramson wrote: (Today, here in Maine, it is snowing.)
Here in Mass, too. So much for getting the bottom done this week and launching next Monday.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Rain in NYC

Post by henry hey »

It's crappy weather.

But I will be up at the yard again tomorrow. Gotta get it done soon. The yard is threatening to put me in by the 15th (eek).

h