Mast cable socket.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Nigel Noble

Mast cable socket.

Post by Nigel Noble »

How far or how close from where the mast steps on the deck should I make the hole for an electrical cable socket without compromising the strength of the deck?

I appreciate any help with this.
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
s-dupuis

Cable Socket

Post by s-dupuis »

I believe that the hole diameter for the cable, about 1/2" to 3/4", will not affect the integrity of the deck. The location would be dictated by the cable length from the mast to the deck socket, which, I would think you would want to be as short as possible to avoid a tripping hazzard.

On my CD22, there is an access port inside the cabin on the liner near the mast base. It looks like a place for a 'dome light' covered with a wood disk. Behind this cover is the cavity between the cabin liner and exterior cabin roof/deck. The exterior fiberglass has stiffening ribs molded into it running port to starboard. I would avoid drilling through this rib if the CD 25 has it as well.

Drill the hole oversize and refill the hole with epoxy or Fiberglass resin. Next, drill the smaller, final hole in the center..

Before attaching the wires to install the socket, remember to feed the wires through the included gasket. I recommend adding silicone adhesive sealant to the hole in the deck as an added precaution.