What 4 stroke fits in a CD26 motor well?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

What 4 stroke fits in a CD26 motor well?

Post by drysuit2 »

Help! I just read through the archives. And the old posts are not helping me because I can’t find any long shaft 2 strokes for sale.

Looks like I have to replace my Merc 9.9 20” shaft on my CD26. What 4 stroke will fit in my well with out any cutting?

Also what about this Torgeedo C20 electric? Looks like the first electric with enough power [equivalent to 6hp] I’ve seen. But how will I charge my batteries? And can I even use my old Dual Purpose Cells? Torgeedo refers to Lithium Manganese Batteries.

Thank you in advance for your help.
:?:
Ron Brassord

Cd25 engine

Post by Ron Brassord »

I "explored" engines for our CD 25 and wound up finding a left over two stroke 8 hp Yamaha, that fit perfectly. That is the largest engine that will fit, if you can find one. I tried to get a Yamaha 4 stroke 8hp to fit through the hole and no way. The lower unit on the 6 Yamaha 4 stroke is the same size, and no way.
What you MUST have for power limits your options. I had to have max power for our inlet. I looked at other 4 strokes and could not find a suitable unit.
There is little or no area that can be cut away to enlarge the hole.
What I also did was make a patern that was the exact hole size and went from dealer to dealer trying to find a fit.
It seemed either the lower unit was too big , or the power head too big, if I needed to stay with the bigger hp.
If you can use a smaller engine, then a number of 4 strokes will fit.
Good luck Ron B
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Four stroke for CD26

Post by Peter Kozup »

Frank,
I don't think this should be too big a problem. I have two four stroke motors that fit fine and work well. The first is the motor that came with my CD26 when I bought it, a 9.9 hp Honda (the model 100 is on the cover, but I assume it'd 9.9 hp). It fits fine and runs well, but it's also pretty old so I assume you would have a hard time finding one. I also bought a 4 hp Mercury four stroke a couple of years ago, and use that if I'm servicing the bigger motor. It works fine, but I prefer a bit more power just in case I need it. I never really thought that any 9.9 hp longshaft motor would not fit in the well, but perhaps that's because I've never really investigated it. My 9.9 hp Honda has plenty of power. I really don't think you'd need anything larger.
The only problem I have with the motor is that the exhaust backs up into the well and starves the engine of oxygen. This seems to be a universal problem of motors in wells, though, and there is information in the CD archives about solving that problem. For me, though, I just motor with the well cover up and it works fine. Good luck in finding a suitable motor.
Peter
drb9

Yamaha 8hp

Post by drb9 »

I bought a Honda 9.9hp before I realized that the hood was too tall and too deep. Off to ebay with it . . . .

Last year, I bought a new Yamaha 8hp high-thrust model. I added wood spacers on both sides of the mount to bring the motor forward by about an inch and a half. It fit perfectly. Plenty of power.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi Frank,
My two cents worth is that I really like being able to rotate my motor in the well on my Typhoon Senior. It's a huge help with backing.
Dave
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Thanks for all your reply's

Post by drysuit2 »

Thanks for all your reply's. Looks like I will get another season out of the 9.9 two stroke. After getting it to finally start this weekend, I ran it for about 4 hours while I fiddled with the Carburetor... Plugs ...etc. I will just have to just buy a smaller engine in a four stroke model; OR, I am still really intrigued by the Torgeedo electric.How nice would it be to have all that quiet?
mgphl52

Nissan 6hp 4-stroke

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Frank,

I used a Nissan 6hp 4-stroke in my CD25 and loved it. While it was no speed-demon with a 25+ knot head wind & 3 to 4 foot chop, it still ran well and got us back from the race in time to enjoy free beer - ya gotta have priorities! :-) Except when time is an issue, I would rather sail (with reduced cloth) than motor through snot like that. And just as important, I had no trouble putting the motor in well after the race, even with the winds and chop. If memory serves, it only weighed about 65 pounds.

Enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
shawnmce
Baltimore MD

Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke

Post by shawnmce »

Last year I purchased a Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke with electric start for my CD26 after much searching. I have absolutely no regrets other than parting with $2000. The engine pushes the boat wonderfully and it uses far less fuel than my previous OB (Johnson Sailmaster 9.9). The only thing that I altered was the mounting board which I doubled the thickness at the mounting bolts. I also had to remove one of the 6 gallon gas tanks so the tiller could fold back into the engine well. I replaced the gas tank with a 2.5 gallon portable gas can as a reserve. The only negative is that I have a bit of a problem backing the boat with the high-thrust prop. It bites too much, too quick, when you are trying to gently ease into a slip. All in all, I would highly recommend this for repowering your CD26. Good luck.

Shawn McEachern
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Outboard for CD26

Post by George Shaunfield »

I have a CD26 and the well is considerably larger than in a CD25, which means more options. I bought my boat with a Yamaha 9.9hp 4-stroke High Thurst motor. The prop is 11.75" diameter and the shaft is 25". It has never come out of the water. It will push the boat at 5+ knots. A lttle over a year ago I bought a Tohatsu (Nissen) 6hp 4-stroke because it weighs only 57 pounds and I can lift it in and out of the motor well by myself. Not as much power, of course, but adequate in every situation I have encountered. If you want to buy my High Thrust Yamaha, we could work something out. Contact me by PM. It is a 2000 year model.

Most 15hp motors are the same external size as 9.9's, but that would be overkill.

George
Wings of the Morning
CD26