Garhauer hardware

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wingreen

Garhauer hardware

Post by wingreen »

I'd like to recommend Garhauer hardware to all the fine Cape Dory folks on the board.

I'm very pleased with their vang and mainsheet blocks. I plan on upgrading the rest of my hardware as soon as I can. They're rugged and good looking, just like our ships. The best part, though, is the price. I can almost buy two blocks for the price of most everybody else's one.
Russell

Re: Garhauer hardware

Post by Russell »

wingreen wrote:I'd like to recommend Garhauer hardware to all the fine Cape Dory folks on the board.

I'm very pleased with their vang and mainsheet blocks. I plan on upgrading the rest of my hardware as soon as I can. They're rugged and good looking, just like our ships. The best part, though, is the price. I can almost buy two blocks for the price of most everybody else's one.
I replaced my jib sheet lead blocks with garhauer as well recently, and since then I vowed that any new blocks or line handling systems I install will definately be garhauer, the quality is top notch, I see it as better quality then the schaefer, harken or lewmar stuff that would have cost me twice as much. Its shocking that garhauer can offer these prices when you look at the quality of their systems.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Garhauer

Post by Carter Brey »

Every single new piece of line-handling hardware I've added to my boat-- eight halyard turning blocks, four reefing cheek blocks, two reefing luff blocks, two vang fiddle blocks, three small spreader blocks, two 2x2 deck organizers and two rope clutches-- has been Garhauer, and it's top notch stuff. They also fabricated custom SS backing plates for the organizers and rope clutches at very reasonable prices.

One caveat: if you order their organizers, be careful when you remove the machine screws and nuts that hold them together, and don't do it on deck with the boat in the water. You stand a very good chance of losing ball bearings.

Carter
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've been using Garhauer hardware for close to 5 years now and the blocks look as good today as when I first installed them. And they work as well too.

Solid equipment and.....can it be in the boating world.......very VERY reasonably priced!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Steve Laume

Re: Garhauer

Post by Steve Laume »

One caveat: if you order their organizers, be careful when you remove the machine screws and nuts that hold them together, and don't do it on deck with the boat in the water. You stand a very good chance of losing ball bearings.

Carter[/quote]
So Carter, how easy is it to get those replacement ball bearings? When I finally look at adressing the traveler, Garhauer seems like the way to go, Steve.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Garhauer

Post by Carter Brey »

Steve Laume wrote:

Carter
So Carter, how easy is it to get those replacement ball bearings? When I finally look at adressing the traveler, Garhauer seems like the way to go, Steve.
Steve,

That depends on whether you had the presence of mind to put a deep cloth-lined bowl under the hardware before disassembling it. And whether, if you lacked that presence of mind, you don't mind getting down on your knees and groping in the bilge.

Oh-- you mean, does the company sell replacement bearings? I would guess they do, but I would ask them directly.

Carter
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Where To Shop For Garhauer Hardware??

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

I will be needing to buy some new hardware soon.

Question: Where do you guys shop for Garhauer hardware?? Neither West Marine or Defender seem to carry their products. I found the Garhauer site on line, however, I was wondering if there was any where else to shop for their products?

Thanks, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
mahalocd36

Re: Where To Shop For Garhauer Hardware??

Post by mahalocd36 »

Evergreen wrote:Hello:

I will be needing to buy some new hardware soon.

Question: Where do you guys shop for Garhauer hardware?? Neither West Marine or Defender seem to carry their products. I found the Garhauer site on line, however, I was wondering if there was any where else to shop for their products?

Thanks, Philip & Sharon
Nope, you buy directly from them. No middleman, that's why their prices are lower. You aren't paying someone else for their cut.
We've found them very easy to deal with, and answer any questions regarding sizes, etc.

Melissa
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
s-dupuis

Ditto on Quality and Price

Post by s-dupuis »

I too opted for Garhauer equipment when replacing my mainsheet blocks and traveller, saving big bucks in doing so. The previous Schaeffer blocks look flimsey by comparison and the Harken traveller systems were nearly double the price. Whats more, the Garhauer traveller is CUSTOM MADE per specifications that I drew up, scanned and attached to the email when ordering.

One thing - be sure to measure accurately and allow for clearance. For example, I did not have enough room between the deck/track mounting holes and the rear of the cockpit teak trim to mount the new, wider track and still have room for the traveller car to move. Also, the deck is curved in this region (on a CD 22). The solution was to mount the track on a teak pedastle to accommodate the curve in the deck (without having to have the track pre-bent) and provide the needed clearance above the trim piece.
All in all I'm very pleased (I installed it yesterday).

Launch time is a short few weeks away! Yippee!
Bruce Barber
Shady Side, MD

Traveler installation...

Post by Bruce Barber »

But Garhauer will bend the track for you for $30 or so; just specify the amount.
Bruce Barber
mgphl52

URL to Garhauer!

Post by mgphl52 »

Here's the link: http://garhauermarine.com/

Enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dean Abramson

Also available at

Post by Dean Abramson »

I just found that you can buy Garhauer hardware through Sailboatowners.com's chandlery.

See:http://shop.sailboatowners.com/category ... 0&cat=1614

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Another source for Garhauer

Post by henry hey »

I recently purchased a bunch of Garhauer gear from D&R marine:

http://www.drmarine.com

The owner is named Rudy and he is a really good guy.

On top of all of that, Rudy's prices on Garhauer are slightly LOWER than direct from Garhauer.

Garhauer probably sets their price based on a 'suggested retail'

While Garhauers direct prices are certainly fair, I love to save money anywhere I can with the boat -- it saves more money for oysters and beer during the season.

-henry
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

I bought mine from the "Port Paragon" store on ebay from a guy named Hal. I also found his prices to be slightly lower than the Garhauer website. He is also really good w/ customer service.

Here's the link: http://stores.ebay.com/Port-Paragon
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Port Paragon - not great

Post by henry hey »

Yes. . Port paragon is slightly lower than Garhauer but all my communications with Hal were nothing but terse -- bordering on offensive.

He has a Garhauer dealer license but he doesn't offer any real support or advice -- just selling his stuff on Ebay. Rudy at D&R was not only cheaper than port paragon, but was willing to speak at length about options. That's pretty valuable to me.

Just my 2 cents.

henry