Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Matt

Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Post by Matt »

I must replace the cockpit cover of my Typhoon daysailer, and will ask a canvas shop to use the original cover as a pattern. Has anyone done this recently, or does anyone have any idea what a fair price would be?
Matt

Re: Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Post by Matt »

I bought a new cockpit cover for my Typhoon daysailer last year for about $400 from Sailors Tailor (in Ohio). Sunbrella with clips that attach to the gunnels. Seems to be almost entirely waterproof.
Can email pictures if desired.
Matt wrote: I must replace the cockpit cover of my Typhoon daysailer, and will ask a canvas shop to use the original cover as a pattern. Has anyone done this recently, or does anyone have any idea what a fair price would be?

morkins@cinci.rr.com
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Matt, I read this with interest and I'm sure others will too, because I'm in the process of engaging with Sailor's Taylor to do a full cover for my Ty Weekender.

So, I had an extensive conversation with him by phone yesterday, to the end that, at present, there exists no template for a full cover of the Typhoon Weekender, only the open cockpit Ty. Therefore, in order to proceed, I must make a template of the 1/2 of my Ty from stem to stern in order to proceed. If you have had an over the boom cover made for your cockpit, that might be of some assistance, pictorially if not a template itself. Nonetheless, I am stating this project via this forum so that if another Ty owner is dabbling in the same adventure we can confer further.

I will attempt to get this template done within the next 10 days and will be working with Sailor's Taylor to produce a full cover that fits tight, with draw cords under the rub rail and vents to boot. I have not seen this yet. He said to me that the cost would run about the same as a Flying Scot price, e.g. 400 + / -.

Others weigh in on the conversation?
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
pjust

Post by pjust »

I'm afraid I may be showing my ignorance, but why would one need a cockpit cover for a self-bailing cockpit?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

@skeep. Are you planning a cover for your mast up or down. Winter is coming soon here and I am thinking of looking for something more substantial than the blue tarp this year.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
chomeur

Post by chomeur »

I would be interested in a cockpit cover. I would use it for overnights, to give me more usable room out of the weather. But I might also use it on my mooring if it weren't too difficult to remove when I want to go sailing.

If there were enough interest among other Weekender owners maybe Sailor's Tailor would give us a discount for multiple orders.

AlternativeIy, I might be interested in a boat cover for winter storage, which seems to be what Skeep has in mind.

David
Chomeur: 1975 Cape Dory Typhoon #1037
Robinhood, Georgetown Island, Maine
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

David and Chris, My requirement is for a whole cover which depends on the mast for its top support and since I will also leave my boom attached in the yard, one could surmise that that portion too, would be part of the support.

I think the gentleman told me that they do have some cockpit cover plans however but not a single whole Ty cover.

In addition, of course, the cover will be taut rather than floppy, this might come in handy for you if you are keeping it through a winter outside as the snow would tend to slip away off the cover due to it being tightly pulled.

It's a toss-up really, and I know Chris, your winter conditions are formidable indeed. Yet you also leave yours in the water I believe? I'm really not sure how you'd get a cover that would meet both conditions. David if you're looking for cockpit coverage, perhaps you should give them a call, reference my ongoing plan for making a Ty "whole boat" cover pattern, and ask if there's but a cockpit design in house already. That'd be cheaper and so forth.

My concern is to protect all the teak from unnecessary sun and winter damage here in addition to the leaf stains and pollen and tree debris that is continual here. And it makes for a sordid tale when I want to go sailing and I have to clean up for over an hour due to the trees.

Does this help you guys?
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Thanks skeep can't wait to see how yours comes out but it doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Indeed. Well, follow me, and stay tuned. I'll update this on the Baggy Wrinkles adventure, because, for sure, it is an adventure to create a design for a boat cover! I've already been able to secure some heavier ( 4mm ) plastic and Duct tape at Lowes to serve as the fabric template. About 11 bucks for the plastic and a few for the tape. Investment is slight. Will dive into this after the Labor Day weekend.
Skeep
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Thanks for that last post I've thinking of how to make a template for another project I want to do this winter.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

ariasis

Post by ariasis »

For those interested I have decided to attempt a boom tent for camping. I'm looking for feed back as I go as this will be new terotory. Here is my initiall plan and I'll keep updating as I go. http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com
Sincerely,

Chris B.

chomeur

Post by chomeur »

Chris,

A great start. I'll be following your project with much interest.

A few questions:
1. Will the tent go under or over the boom?
2. It looks as if it will be self supporting, with a ridgepole and arches. Is that the idea? Any reason why you're not using the boom as the ridge pole?
3. Will the tent go from rub rail to rub rail or coaming to coaming?

David
Chomeur: 1975 Cape Dory Typhoon #1037
Robinhood, Georgetown Island, Maine
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

@David

1. I'm going to go under the boom. I will probably connect to the bottom via industrial Velcro but only if I need to hopefully it will be completely free standing.
2. I'm not going over the boom. I think I will have issues making it lay flat. I don't flack my sail away the same each time and may have issues as I have more how one main sail some of which are harder to pack away. Under the cover.
3. I'm going rub rail to rub rail hopefully this will keep the cockpit drier.
Sincerely,

Chris B.

wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Post by wsfanning »

I'm listening intently to this discussion as well folks. I plan to do more overnighting next year. Please keep us in the loop.
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

It is a good topic. So yesterday I conferred further with the Sailors Tailor regarding the full-length template for the Ty Weekender. I am having to take additional measurements today in order to have the cover taut once in place with an assortment of special tricks to keep the cover taut all about, with zipper for winter entry, etc etc etc.

For those of you who are thinking to get in and out of a cover for $350, I doubt that is going to be realized. In order to cover the Ty from stem to stern with an over the boom and mast secured quality fabric and design for keeping it taut, it will be more in the $600 dollar category. My concern is to get the teak covered due to the effects of sun and weather. All that good work I did must be carefully maintained anyway, and a quality cover will go a long way in preserving her. Plus, if and when the day comes that selling her is at hand, having such a cover speaks volumes to a prospective buyer.

The cover I am having made ( and yes, I'm committed at that price ) will be able to be put on while the Ty is on the trailer, or, if she is at a mooring or dock. The zipper entrance will enable entering the hull to do periodic checks and maintenance. I like this concept. And this one will indeed be a prototype. So, developing the best possible standard cover for this version is important to them.

I've seen a variety of covers on keelboats that simply make me cry lol. I want this one right.
Skeep