Pro-con for Tri-color Running Lights?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Goldsmith

Pro-con for Tri-color Running Lights?

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Loonsong came to me wired with regular deck level running lights as well as a tricolor. The Aqua-Signal tricolor light works fine, but the lenses are a bit weathered and frosty. Replacing the lens will cost about as much as a brand new all-round masthead light.

I am thinking about abandoning the tri-color. One more bulb to replace and another circuit to maintain, with what benefit? All I have read simply states that sailboats *may* use a tri-color at the masthead, but I have never found a discussion of the pros-cons of using a masthead tricolor.

The only benefit I can see is maintaining visibility above waves that would obscure deck-level running lights. Are there other considerations that would lead me to consider keeping the tricolor?

Thanks!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

Loonsong on the hard in winter storage
goldyNOSPAM@bestweb.net
Warren Kaplan

Re: Pro-con for Tri-color Running Lights?

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Bill,
Dunno about the tri-color light...but I sure like the vessel!!

Warren

Setsail728@aol.com
will parker

Post by will parker »

If you ever expect to do any offshore sailing at night, you really need the tricolor light on top of your mast.
will
"Jambalaya"
CD30

Bill Goldsmith wrote: Loonsong came to me wired with regular deck level running lights as well as a tricolor. The Aqua-Signal tricolor light works fine, but the lenses are a bit weathered and frosty. Replacing the lens will cost about as much as a brand new all-round masthead light.

I am thinking about abandoning the tri-color. One more bulb to replace and another circuit to maintain, with what benefit? All I have read simply states that sailboats *may* use a tri-color at the masthead, but I have never found a discussion of the pros-cons of using a masthead tricolor.

The only benefit I can see is maintaining visibility above waves that would obscure deck-level running lights. Are there other considerations that would lead me to consider keeping the tricolor?

Thanks!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

whildenp@msn.com
Leo MacDonald CD33

Pro-con for Tri-color - you have the answer

Post by Leo MacDonald CD33 »

Hi Bill,

Even if you got me all excited over a new CD33 to the NE Fleet then broke my bubble, I'll answer this.

You have hit on it.

"The only benefit I can see is maintaining visibility above waves that would obscure deck-level running lights."

Three / four foot waves would start reducing the visibility of deck mounted lights :-)

Depending on your particular arrangement a tricolor may consume less power, of heightened interest on an overnight sail.

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Whipping boy for the S/C
S/V Evening Light CD33 #38
(On the hard) Groton, CT

macdoreNOSPAM@aol.com
Bill

Post by Bill »

Bill

I would add that the light on the stern pullpit destroys night vision (at least it does mine). I would perfer to have them at the mast head and save the lights on the railing for an emergency.

MTCW

ill
Captain Commanding
S/V Rhapsody (the Original)
CD25D #148
Oklahoma Contingent if the NE Fleet, CDSOA, Inc
Galley Wench S/V Evening Light
<b><FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="+2">Gunnery Officer F/S Evening Light</B></font>
<A HREF="http://www.applegatemarina.com/">Kerr Lake, OK (Oklahoma's Outlet to the Sea)</A>

cd25d@clnk.com
John R.

Post by John R. »

I totally agree with Will. If you are undersail at night the masthead tricolor is optimal for maximized visibility.
will parker wrote: If you ever expect to do any offshore sailing at night, you really need the tricolor light on top of your mast.
will
"Jambalaya"
CD30

Bill Goldsmith wrote: Loonsong came to me wired with regular deck level running lights as well as a tricolor. The Aqua-Signal tricolor light works fine, but the lenses are a bit weathered and frosty. Replacing the lens will cost about as much as a brand new all-round masthead light.

Thanks!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong
Larry DeMers

Post by Larry DeMers »

Bill,

Man, she is gorgeous!I saved your photo of Loonsong for my CD scrap book.

On mast head lights, all said so far is right and true I believe. If you plan offshore work, then you probably need to replace it. The energy savings and safety issues are both big enough to make the light worth while I suupect. However, in foggy situations, I would rather have the deck mounted lights on, than the mast head light, as the tricolor will be out of sight even on your own boat, much less someone elses. A light down low will carry further horizontally, I think.

Congrats on a gorgeous boat!

Cheers,

Larry DeMers
s/v DeLaMer
CD30 Lake Superior

Thanks!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

demers@sgi.com
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Thanks, everyone for the input. Aside from the benefit of visibility in rolling waves, the ideas about fog, the possibilities of saving amps (because the tricolor uses one bulb, and the fact that the stern running light can ruin night vision were just the ideas I was looking for! Might as well maintain both systems.

Thanks for all the compliments on Loonsong. I'm pretty well smitten myself (so was the surveyor!!). Can't wait to get her in the water next spring!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

Thanks!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

goldyNOSPAM@bestweb.net
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>A light down low will carry further horizontally, I think.<<

Depending on how big the vessel is that's running you down, the tri-color may be at the same height as their bridge.

Regards, Neil
s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167

neil@nrgordon.com
Ken Cave

Post by Ken Cave »

I have a Tri Color running light mounted on my CD 28, and it actually has two lamps-onme for the anchor light and the other for the Tri Color. The lamp for the tri color light is VERY EXPENSIVE if you have to replace it. Mine went out a year ago, and have not replaced it (but I try not to do night sailing either)

Ken Cave
CD 28 #227
Anacortes, WA

bcave@whidbey.net
Larry DeMers

Post by Larry DeMers »

Well, that would sure be true on the ocean, off of the coast. Not up where I sail though. I deal with the fog as my biggest headache. For the majority of traffic, the deck mounted light would be in the line of sight for the majority of boats we are likely to encounter, while the mast top mounted one would be out of sight line as well as obscured by fog. But if that were a freighter approaching you, the mast mounted light would certainly be easier to see. Hopefully, your radar would have forewarned you of this traffic though ;^).

Larry
Neil Gordon wrote: >>A light down low will carry further horizontally, I think.<<

Depending on how big the vessel is that's running you down, the tri-color may be at the same height as their bridge.

Regards, Neil
s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167

demers@sgi.com
Robin Meigel

Post by Robin Meigel »

On the Chesapeake Bay there is a fair amount of commercial traffice, freighters and tugs towing/pushing bargest, 24 hours a day. I'm of the view that at night the Tri-color enables them to spot me further away. Hopefully, in conjunction with picking up my radar reflector. The tugs are more of an issue than freighters because they are usually not in the shipping lanes and, at night, my experience has been there are more of them.

Robin Meigel
s/v "Pacem"
1979 CD 27
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Ken,

I have the same fixture--one bulb for the tricolor and one for the white all-round anchor light. The single bulb for the tricolor would arguably draw less than three deck-level running lights with three bulbs.

Why is your tricolor bulb so expensive? Is it an LED? The Aquasignal lamp on Loonsong uses a single running light bulb with the lens in three colors.

Bill

The : I have a Tri Color running light mounted on my CD 28, and it actually has two lamps-onme for the anchor light and the other for the Tri Color. The lamp for the tri color light is VERY EXPENSIVE if you have to replace it. Mine went out a year ago, and have not replaced it (but I try not to do night sailing either)
Ken Cave wrote: Ken Cave
CD 28 #227
Anacortes, WA

goldyNOSPAM@bestweb.net
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Larry,

We agree completely as far as close in and coastal sailing. Not only the line of sight issue, but other boaters are more likely to recognize you for what you are with traditional lights.

Regards, Neil
s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167

neil@nrgordon.com
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

With any traffic that's not likely to manuever around you, it's much more important that you see them.

Most of the discussions I've seen on tri-colors stress the value offshore, especially when there may not be a lookout on a shorthanded boat.

Regards, Neil
s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167

neil@nrgordon.com