Cockpit Locker Hinges - bolt replacement

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

keneasley

Cockpit Locker Hinges - bolt replacement

Post by keneasley »

Just an FYI concerning something to check on your boat.
After reading a recent article about things to check during Spring Commissioning I gave my cockpit locker hinges a quick check.
The hinges are bolted to the top of the locker.
Some of the bolts had rusted such that the nuts had fallen off and there was evidence of water getting into the core.
I removed the bolts, chamfered the holes and cleaned out the holes as best I could. I did find some rotten core.
I was surprised that the top of the locker was cored. It is pretty thin but is cored nonetheless.
I was also surprised to find no evidence that sealant was used to bed the hinges.
I cleaned up all the surfaces and put it back together using new 316 stainless steel fasteners and butyl tape.
I did have to use a hacksaw to trim off the ends of the bolts. Any extra length would prevent the cover from closing.
Hopefully the core had only minor damage. They do seem to be very solid.
Picture of one of the hinges here:
cockpit_locker_1.JPG
cockpit _locker_2.JPG
Wonder if any of you have had a similar experience and if you have done anything more extensive to remediate the cover.
It seems very solid on my boat and I'm hoping that now that they are sealed further damage will be prevented.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Re: Cockpit Locker Hinges - bolt replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have the identical hinges, also fastened with stainless machine screws. I’ve had no rusting issues but fastenings vary widely in integrity even when “labeled” 304 or 316. It would have been interesting to check the fastenings you removed with a magnet.
My cockpit lockers lids are not cored. I’m sure this was one method of keeping the weight down on your performance orientated Intrepid.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Thanks for that info Jim. I hadn't thought to test the old machine screw before I tossed them out.
I've seen write ups from other Cape Dory owners about recoring the tops of their cockpit lockers after they got rotted by water getting in. I had thought that mine were not cored until now. Fortunate that they are not on your boat.
Ken Easley
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Yes. Common problem. I removed all the hinges. Then, over drilled through all the bolt holes, filled with epoxy, then after the epoxy cured re-drilled for the bolts. Chamfered the top of the holes. Bedded with butyl.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I did the same as John. On my CD30 there does seem to be core in the hatches so it seemed like a prudent idea. I also found oversized washers, about 3/4in diameter.
Jeff
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Thanks for the replies.
I guess this Winter I'll take them apart and bring them home to dry out.
Then remediate the holes as you've described and rebed.
Probably some water trapped in there still. Might take a few months for them to dry out.
Ken Easley