Bylaws Committee provides a draft rewrite

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fmueller

Bylaws Committee provides a draft rewrite

Post by fmueller »

To all CDSOA members:

Commodore Fred Mueller formed a committee last fall for the purpose of revising the club bylaws. A draft version has been produced by Carl Thunberg, acting committee chair.

There will be an early spring 2024 CDSOA Zoom event (members only) to consider and vote on this, the club officership, and other club issues. Date TBA (but soon).

Read the draft:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zbmuvmfs ... 94yry&dl=0

Send thoughts and comments:

<capedorysoa@gmail.com>

Briefly these and other issues have been addressed.

- Cape Dory boat ownership is no longer a requirement for Active Membership. We are open to all. We have eliminated "Associate Membership".

- We have streamlined the list of officers and added an Information Officer in recognition of the importance of technology in our operation.

Fleet Captains, Commodore, and Director-at-large may serve no more two consecutive 2-year terms. The previous version of the by-laws only allowed for one 2-year term. The Committee felt two years was too short and limited a willing officer from continuing to serve.

- Secretary/Treasurer and Information Officer are not subject to the same limitations, since those offices require continuity and are subject to verification by audits, etc.

- The new bylaws allow for an electronic format such as Zoom to increase member involvement in the Annual Meeting.

Best,

Fred Mueller
CDSOA Commodore
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Carl Thunberg

Re: Bylaws Committee provides a draft rewrite

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If I may piggyback on what Fred said, these are actually new bylaws that were based on the previous CDSOA bylaws. Not to get into the weeds too much, but we re-incorporated CDSOA in a different state. That's why these are new bylaws. Most people wouldn't notice a difference, but some long-time active CDSOA members will.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton