Is the mast on a 1978 Cape Dory 25 slotted or through bolted to the bottom plate?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ekmar1991

Is the mast on a 1978 Cape Dory 25 slotted or through bolted to the bottom plate?

Post by Ekmar1991 »

The short of it is I recently purchased a 1978 Cape Dory 25 and during the previous owners last final haul out some damage occurred at the base of the mast. The aluminum is pretty chewed up and there is a minor tear on one side but my first order of business is to determine if this mast was already slotted or if the damage cause is far greater because it ripped clean through. If anyone has pictures of there CD 25 mast or have insight into this I'd be appreciative.

Second step, pending the mast isn't shot, would be to address the minor tear by drilling a small hole at the end of the tear to stop it from continuing upward, cleaning up the aluminum and then filling it with a marine epoxy. Any input on this planned repair would be helpful as well.

I marked the crack in red and circled the spot in question in yellow. Happy to post more photos if it will help determine anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Is the mast on a 1978 Cape Dory 25 slotted or through bolted to the bottom plate?

Post by Jim Walsh »

It will be very interesting to hear what a current owner of this model has to report.
Normally cracks in aluminum are welded, not filled with epoxy. The damage to the web of the hole has been there for years as evidenced by the amount of corrosion present. If it had occurred in the last year the torn portions would exhibit a dull smooth appearance, not the appearance in the photo.
I wish you luck, this is not a simple fix.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ekmar1991

Re: Is the mast on a 1978 Cape Dory 25 slotted or through bolted to the bottom plate?

Post by Ekmar1991 »

Thanks for the support Jim. Would you suggest a more advantageous place to post this topic? I’m really hoping this mast is traditionally slotted at the bottom and the extent of damage is far less than it appears.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I know there’s a Cape Dory Facebook group but I’m not into Facebook so I can’t provide details or a link. Keep in mind that the advice you receive on web forums is worth exactly what you paid for it and the quality of advice varies astronomically from the totally absurd to world class professional.
If you have a local rigger the price of a consultation would be money well spent. An experienced rigger has seen everything and will advise you of the options available to effect a remedy.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ekmar1991

Post by Ekmar1991 »

Thanks again for the advice. Was mostly hoping for some pictures of an undamaged mast. I've reached out to some rigger near me and hope to hear back from them soon.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

the facebook cape dory group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/85817053889 .. you would probably get a response there .. lots of 25 owners.