CD25 Sailing to Nova Scotia

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

gianlisi

CD25 Sailing to Nova Scotia

Post by gianlisi »

Hello everybody,

We are looking for information about sailing from Downeast Maine to Halifax, Nova Scotia on our CD25, Rahoon Splasher. We are currently in Jonesport, Maine, and considering various routes for crossing the Bay of Fundy and sailing around Cape Sable.

Does anybody have experience with this route? We are looking for suggestions about the crossing of the Bay of Fundy as well as harbors to stop in on the way to Halifax.

Any tips or notes on your experience would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Jessika and Gianluca
John Ring

Re: CD25 Sailing to Nova Scotia

Post by John Ring »

I've done that crossing a few times, takes two days generally. Expect the fog/drizzle to start about half way across. You can clear in with Customs at Shelburne yacht club, just tie up to the dock & call Customs upon arrival. The club is friendly, and be sure to check out the dory museum before moving along up the coast. And, enjoy the lobster trap free sailing!
John Ring
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
gianlisi

Post by gianlisi »

Thank you John, I really appreciate your suggestions!

Gianluca
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

It would be a long day from Shelburne, but Port Mouton is great anchorage with a nice sandy beach. Legend has it that a sheep went overboard from a ship, which is how Port Mouton got its name. Whether there is any truth to it is anyone's guess, but it's an intriguing story.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
gianlisi

Post by gianlisi »

Port Mouton does look like a nice place, thank you! I will be looking for the goat!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

We did it overnight from Mount Desert Island Maine to Shelburn Nova Scotia. 160 nautical miles. We decided to forego the west coast of Nova Scotia because the tides are so extreme. The east coast is much easier to cruise.

We used Peter Loverige's Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia, though our cruise was years ago and I believe it is now out of print. I think most folks now use The CCA Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia.

I've heard it said that Nova Scotia today is what Maine was like 50 years ago, and I found some truth in that. I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Ring

Re: ArriveCAN app

Post by John Ring »

Quick update, now that the Board is up again. : )

In my post above, I mentioned clearing in at Shelburne as an official port of entry. During Covid, Shelburne was closed as a port of entry. This option may have re-opened now that Covid restrictions are largely behind us.
The real news is the new "ArriveCAN" app that you can download to your phone. This will provide easier & more convenient check-in with Canadian authorities. I haven't tried it yet, but it appears to function like the CBP ROAM app I've used for clearing back into the US.
Best,
John Ring
CD36 Tiara
www.youtube.com/svtiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.