CD25 outboard motor mount

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CaptainDave

CD25 outboard motor mount

Post by CaptainDave »

Here is a view of Tohatsu 6 HP motor. O removed the 1-1/2" thick wood mount and replaced it with a carefully made 1/2" thick aluminum plate. With the right spacers, the motor can turn a full 90 degrees right and left. The alternator wire and fuel hose is extra long to do this but no fuel feed problem. This is a great aide to backing out of the slip and turning easily with the motor at low speed. I also bonded a piece of Starboard to the shelf on the port side with SS threaded inserts. A 2.5 gallon aluminum dune buggy fuel tank screws to this plate. It came with a plastic sight tube to see the fuel level, I immediately changed it to Tygon tube "just in case". There is another 2 gallon red gas can tied down on the other shelf. This is a great motor & mount arrangement.

I hope you also admire the teak cockpit sole. They are 12" x 12" tiles from the home good store, cut to fit. A good template was key- the rudder post IS NOT IN THE CENTER! It's off by almost an inch and I can't guess why. Each tile is carefully marked, it's like a puzzle to a drunken sailor.
Attachments
cockpit.jpeg
cockpit.jpeg (825.8 KiB) Viewed 333 times
wikakaru

Re: CD25 outboard motor mount

Post by wikakaru »

Nice job! Fitting the larger modern 4-stroke outboards into these small wells is a frequent question on the forum. I'd love to see some more photos, especially from directly overhead, of the installation that show a bit more detail of how you have it set up.

Smooth sailing,

Jim