Tips for snaking cockpit drains on a typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

PortTack

Tips for snaking cockpit drains on a typhoon?

Post by PortTack »

Hello,

I've got quite a lot of blockage in both my cockpit drains on my typhoon, but have been trouble finding a snaking solution that fits through the tiny drain covers - the storebought snake from H.D. was too wide. Any advice for clearing out these drains before I put her in the water? Thanks!
sloopjohnl

Re: Tips for snaking cockpit drains on a typhoon?

Post by sloopjohnl »

i used a garden hose with 50# water pressure in conjunction with a length of spiral lawn mower throttle cable slightly longer than the total length of the drain hose and thru-hull plus enough to hold onto while working back and forth thru drain. if you still have gate valves make sure they are all the way open.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I've never needed anything other than blowing out with water from a hose nozzle, but if that doesn't work for you, try something like a Zip-It Drain Tool. It is flexible plastic with little teeth that are good at grabbing hair. It might work with sticks, leaves and other detritus that made its way down your drain, but would be useless if the problem is marine growth like barnacles.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

A piece of electricians fish tape worked well for me. Thin strong and you can shape the working end if you need to.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I always keep a little sink plunger on board. Give it a few plunges and all will be well in your world. If that doesn't work at the end of the season, you may need to take a dive with a butter knife and assault the creatures who may have taken up residence in your through hull fitting.