Typhoon Sail (Class) Number

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tc53

Typhoon Sail (Class) Number

Post by tc53 »

Hi. I am a new owner of a 1974 CD Typhoon Weekender. The manufacturers plate appears to say it is hull number 600 (and the full HIN has that number in the middle. The boat's only mainsail, a reasonably new one, has neither number nor insignia. For Typhoons that do have sail numbers, are these Class numbers? If so, how can I go about getting a class number? Or do people use the hull number for a sail number? Also, does anyone have any idea where I might find/get two Typhoon Weekender insignias for our mainsail?
wikakaru

Re: Typhoon Sail (Class) Number

Post by wikakaru »

You are correct that in some classes of sailboats there is a class association that assigns sail numbers, and the sail numbers in those classes have no relationship to the hull number. That's how it is in the Sunfish class, for example. But to my knowledge, there is no class association for Typhoons that assigns sail numbers; it is the hull number that goes on the sail. At least that's what I did with my Typhoon when I had a new mainsail made. I encourage everyone buying a new mainsail of any type of sailboat to put the correct model logo and hull number on their mainsail. As an amateur photographer, I find it much easier to identify boats if they are so marked.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
tc53

Post by tc53 »

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the help.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

tc53 wrote: Also, does anyone have any idea where I might find/get two Typhoon Weekender insignias for our mainsail?
Any sailmaker can supply and affix the class insignia and the hull number to your mainsail. If there are no sailmakers in close proximity I’m sure a phone call to any sailmaker will result in obtaining such so you can effect the install yourself.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time