Polished brass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve O

Polished brass

Post by Steve O »

Hi,
Our 1989 30 MKII has lewmar bronze winches. I cannot tell if the finish is an applied antique or just tarnish build up over the years. I tried to polish with Collinite metal polish but that made no change making me think it is an applied finish. I scratched the surface in a small area and confirmed they are bronze. Has anyone had luck in restoring to a bright bronze finish or on any other hardware like portholes and chocks. Thank you

Steve O
CD 30MK II Anu
Marblehead, MA
Jim Walsh

Re: Polished brass

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve used Noxon for decades and it works fine. Flitz also works well. Both require a bit of rubbing and if the item is heavily tarnished several applications may be necessary. It helps to wear nitrile gloves because the process will be a bit messy. I find old cotton rags much more effective than paper towels. Rub it in, let it dry to a haze, buff off. Repeat as necessary.
Xylene works but due to the hazards I wouldn’t recommend it to a casual user.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

The green color is normal weathering of bronze. Many of us prefer this color, and wouldn’t dream of trying to polish them.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

There’s no need to polish bronze and don’t use anything that contains wax on winches of any material where they come into contact with the line.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
gbernard

Post by gbernard »

I've had good luck with 3M metal polish. It looked nice but was short lived as I couldn't keep up with it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cape Dory 30 MKII Hull #28
Boston, MA