VHF Help:)?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Robert Douglas

VHF Help:)?

Post by Robert Douglas »

Hi everyone,

Any VHF experts out there? I wondered if I could ask the community for help getting mine working again. Here's the story. A couple seasons ago I lost my antenna while the mast was being stored for the winter season and replaced with a new Shakespeare version that seemed to be an exact version of the original. That same year some idiot (me) cut the VHF connector on the other end clean off (in the cabin at VHF, long embarrassing story) and then promptly lost it. I have tried installing on of those easy connect connectors from West Marine - but can't get the VHF to recieve, and I assume it is not transmitting. The VHF itself is circa 1990s I believe. Could I have an incompatibility issue maybe - new antenna, old wire coming down mast, new connector, old VHF? Stumped? Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Best,
Robert
Cape Dory 25D
Cape Dory 30 MK II
Chrisa006

Re: VHF Help:)?

Post by Chrisa006 »

If when you didn't have an antenna hooked up you hit the transmit button you may have fried the radio.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I would not think it would be incompatibility. I know the CB radios of the 70s did fare well transmitting without an antenna. VHF is probably the same way as others mentioned. So you either need a SWR meter to hook to your radio to test it. Or you borrow or buy an antenna to test it. That being said, not knowing you at all or your capabilities it could be the connector you put on. Over my decades of working on TVs, radios and antennas I have seen some pretty botched jobs done by some do it your selfers installing connectors. So if you are certain you did a proper job on the connector and antenna is new. The problem would probably be the radio. Is the original coax in the mast? damaged cable in the mast could also be an issue. If the outer protective cover gets cracked and rotten, allowing water to enter, it will also cause issue.

Easiest ck would be to test the radio with a know good antenna with factory connectors. They would either confirm the radio is good are bad and you problem would be in the cable or connectors.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Robert Douglas

Post by Robert Douglas »

Thanks so much eveyone - really great insights. My guess is, based on your advice, that either I attached the new connector at the VHF poorly - or the radio is fried, as I had tried to get radio checks on multiple occasions - or both. I have an emergency attenna stored onboard so perhaps I will use this to test the radio and also look into properly solding on a new connector. I will pop back on after testing this weekend to give an update. My best and thank you again!
Robert
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Robert Douglas wrote:Thanks so much eveyone - really great insights. My guess is, based on your advice, that either I attached the new connector at the VHF poorly - or the radio is fried, as I had tried to get radio checks on multiple occasions - or both. I have an emergency attenna stored onboard so perhaps I will use this to test the radio and also look into properly solding on a new connector. I will pop back on after testing this weekend to give an update. My best and thank you again!
Robert
No wire or foil of the outer shield can touch the inner core. You can check with an ohm meter if you have one when you are done.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Robert, this won't help you solve the problem you are immediately facing--how to get your radio working--but might be worth considering. I have tried to keep my boat as simple to maintain as possible.

The 4' VHF antenna for my AIS, the only fixed mount antenna I have on the boat, is on the aft stanchion. I don't have a stern pulpit or it would be there. There are no wires in the mast. Keeping the antenna on the stern pulpit means it is easier to trouble shoot and replace when necessary. Less likely to be destroyed by a lightening strike as well. You lose some range but everyone else has their antennas up high so you don't lose that much line of sight range in my experience.

I make VHF AIS contact with most ships around 25 miles away. I don't know what the VHF voice range is since I only carry a handheld VHF. DSC range would probably be reduced. Something to consider.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Robert Douglas wrote:Hi everyone,

Any VHF experts out there? I wondered if I could ask the community for help getting mine working again. Here's the story. A couple seasons ago I lost my antenna while the mast was being stored for the winter season and replaced with a new Shakespeare version that seemed to be an exact version of the original. That same year some idiot (me) cut the VHF connector on the other end clean off (in the cabin at VHF, long embarrassing story) and then promptly lost it. I have tried installing on of those easy connect connectors from West Marine - but can't get the VHF to recieve, and I assume it is not transmitting. The VHF itself is circa 1990s I believe. Could I have an incompatibility issue maybe - new antenna, old wire coming down mast, new connector, old VHF? Stumped? Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Best,
Robert
Cape Dory 25D
Cape Dory 30 MK II
I used a couple of the Shakespeare gold crimp style connectors a few years ago. Within two years my AIS reception/transmission had degraded. They looked perfect, but looks can be deceiving. I had a tech check it out because I thought I might have an AIS black box issue. The black box was bench tested for a week and had no issues. It was the two “do it yourself” coax connectors. I had them changed out for “weapons grade” soldered connectors. That cured my issue.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

If interested, here's a good article on VHF connectors by MaineSail. All of his advice is spot-on. - Jean

https://marinehowto.com/easy-vhf-terminations/
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Frenchy wrote:If interested, here's a good article on VHF connectors by MaineSail. All of his advice is spot-on. - Jean

https://marinehowto.com/easy-vhf-terminations/
Concur. Lots of good stuff there.