Radar Alarm Amplifier

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fritz3000g

Radar Alarm Amplifier

Post by fritz3000g »

I have a radar with the ability to set a perimeter alarm. I've tested it and it works great!

I'd like to use it when single-handing, but have noticed that I can't hear it with the diesel running (which is when I'd mostly use it, because I wouldn't have to worry about the battery).

Any tips on modifying or amplifying the radar so that I can hear it or be alerted some other way?

The best thing I can come up with is something like what the soap-box preachers use.

I have the same issue with my VHF, but I read up and found that I can attach a remote speaker which my radar doesn't support.
bottomscraper

Re: Radar Alarm Amplifier

Post by bottomscraper »

You might want to tell us what make and model of radar/chart-plotter you have. I know some of the Garmin (even the current low end units) have a provision to add an external horn or buzzer.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Does it have any outputs for external speakers? A relay out that could go to an external device? If not I don't think you have much of an option.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I've got the radar taken apart, and I was able to remove the buzzer. However, it has no markings at all.

Is there some way of determining what I could replace it with that would be louder?

I'm assuming there's some kind of amperage and voltage rating, but I don't know what it is, or if there are other specs I'll need to know. I'd like to test it out, but I'm not sure what voltage to even apply to it.

Can anyone help?

Circuit board:
View of Buzzer #1
View of Buzzer #1