Late fall weather, a dose of reality

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Late fall weather, a dose of reality

Post by Jim Walsh »

Today looks like the last of the truly nice weather for this season. Daytime highs are due to drop into the forties which is a twenty to twenty five degree precipice. I hope everyone took advantage of the mild fall and are prepared to resume the march toward the winter solstice. All boat systems should be immediately winterized, if not already, and it’s time to ensure your snowblower is champing at the bit for the first snowfall.
For those in the south…enjoy your season, and let’s hope named tropical disturbances are a thing of the past.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
s2sailorlis

Re: Late fall weather, a dose of reality

Post by s2sailorlis »

A timely post as I just put my 22 to final rest this afternoon.

This year I finally, after 25 years of boat ownership….sanded bottom to make for an easy spring commissioning…if I decide to keep the boat!

Good advice on snowblower, I run mine a few times in the off season so she’s in good shape. and…for those who have one, testing your portable generator. got a 6500 Watt inverter last year so it can run critical house circuits should we lose power..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

I also have the same sad story. Hauled out a couple weeks earlier than normal because of last October storms in R.I. Just fired up the snow blower and generator and probably have cut the lawn for the season. 70 degree's last week with shorts on to possibly 30 degrees tonight. SIGH!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Ha, I hauled out and wrapped up weeks ago. Because this was happening earlier this month...you know, gales of November and all...
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Paul D. wrote:Ha, I hauled out and wrapped up weeks ago. Because this was happening earlier this month...you know, gales of November and all...
That’s a very dramatic photo. We had a dusting, our first of the season, this morning. I’ve been all buttoned up since the last week in October. I feel sorry for those in Buffalo, N.Y., and the surrounding regions, who are forecast to see several feet of snow in the next few days due to the “lake effect”.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time