Location options

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

Location options

Post by csoule13 »

Apologies for a slightly random posting. If the mods think this should be located elsewhere, I'm happy to move it around.

Wife and I moved to Chattanooga a few years ago, and eventually the CD27 came along too. Since then I've learned that 1) The quality of sailing(and supporting services) here is lacking 2) They lower the lake level in the winter making the already limited sailing grounds more limited and 3) I am just going out on a light wind afternoon in August on a lake a small as Chickamauga.

And so we now have a boat that doesn't get used much. I'm trying to get my head around my options here. Putting the boat up for sale in the current location seems like it would have a very limited market. I could move the boat down river to Guntersville and hope for better sailing(but long commute to the boat). Also considering moving the boat back to the Chesapeake where I have friends, and use the boat when I travel back(and the friends get to use it, too). The last option is a bit pricey, but also has the benefit of the boat ending up in a much healthier sailboat market than Chattanooga.

Given the vast experience with boats and boat ownership this group has shown over the years, I'm very curious how y'all would think through this.

All the best,
Chris
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Re: Location options

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

You might consider developing a co-ownership relationship with one of your friends on the Chesapeak. This mitigates the cost, shares responsibility and would place the boat in bona fide sailing waters. I was in such an arrangement for quite a few years. It worked out fine, as mostly boats are under utilized.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)