Rusting Anchor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Darwin

Rusting Anchor

Post by Steve Darwin »

The galvanizing on the old 25# CQR has failed in places. My initial plan was to spot-prime with rust-converter (I've had good luck with this on other projects) and then prime and paint the whole anchor. But now I'm wondering if it might bee better to apply epoxy over the whole anchor and then paint. Suggestions?
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Jim Walsh

Re: Rusting Anchor

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’d be inclined to use the rust converter where necessary and spray the whole thing with a few coats of Rustoleum cold galvanizing compound. I bet one can would suffice and run you about seven bucks…although I didn’t check the price, it may have doubled like everything else these days.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I actually have Jim's old 25 lb CQR (original CQR) that I would be willing to give you on one condition. You need to attend the Northeast Fleet winter meeting at Flanders in January. No signs of rust anywhere. Just paying it forward. Thanks, Jim!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good man, Carl! You made my day.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

And I once owned Carl's former boat!
I'd just go with the zinc paint. I would, contrary to Jim, skip the rust converter but wire brush off any rust. I'm a bit rusty on chemistry but I think the zinc paint wants to be in contact with the steel and the converter introduces an insulating layer.
Jeff
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Thanks all. The Rust-Oleum zinc paint does say to apply onto bare metal or galvanized surface free from rust. I'll give it a try. Interestingly, the instructions also say to use a latex topcoat. - Steve
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

It sounds like you have a solution, but will share my experience painting a rusted anchor that was not so successful. I cleaned, primed, and painted it (Rust Oleum) and it looked great.... That is, until I used it a few times. The sharp rocks and gravel ground right thru the paint. You might be ok if anchoring only in mud or soft sand but the rocks and sharp gravel here just chewed thru the paint in no time. I didn't think of paint hardness, but can't imagine many paints (maybe Imron?) which could take such abrasion and not be destroyed after a season.
-Steve
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I have been doing touch up each season with Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray. It's the same stuff I use on the prop to keep the barnacle population low.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com