Typhoon Weekender outboard weight

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Shinok

Typhoon Weekender outboard weight

Post by Shinok »

I ended up buying Weekender #1508 about 3 weeks ago and am looking at powering her with a newer 4 stroke outboard. Most sailing will be at a lake with some at the coast when we go that way for a few weeks every few years.

I was reading here and I know the Ty is somewhat sensitive to weight distribution, I've read of folks using everything from trolling motors up to 8hp motors. The trolling motor for me is out as I need the ability to push against winds if needed, although 6hp is probably going to be overkill for our conditions. I was looking in the 3.5-5hp range.

Most outboards I've looked at in the 4hp-6hp range are ~57-63lbs with a 20in shaft, my understanding being that the engines are very similar hence the increase in weight between 4 and 6 being minimal. The 2.5-3.5s I've looked at were around 40-44lbs. On average it seems like a 15lb weight difference hanging off the stern. The 4hp+ all have reverse, which is tempting, but I'm leery of adding another 15lbs off the extreme end of the stern.

We're using the spartan mount.

I was wondering for folks who have used various outboards how much of a difference ~15lbs would be when it comes to how far down the boat 'squats' into her waterline? I can't imagine 15lbs being that dramatic but know it's at the extreme end of the boat, so I wanted to see what other folks had experienced.
sloopjohnl

Re: Typhoon Weekender outboard weight

Post by sloopjohnl »

bought my '76 with a Johnson 6 hp from a man that sailed Barnegat Bay, NJ
sailed on a PA lake for 31 yrs 16 with the Johnson, then 15 with a Honda 2hp four stroke. big weight savings and better trim. plenty of power for inland lake sailing.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Honda, 2.3HP, air cooled, simple and reliable, is the perfect Typhoon motor. There is no need for reverse when you can spin the motor. When I was sailing a Typhoon, I would use the rudder until I got into a tight maneuvering situation, then would use the motor to do whatever I want the boat to do. You can spin it in place go and from forward to reverse without pause.

I once bought a Ty with a 6HP engine. The guy had added a crap load of lead pigs in the bow to balance the boat. Once he got enough lead in there to keep the waterline level, it was underwater. These boats where designed when British Seagulls and small two strokes were the norm. Four stroke engines are heavy. Lots of weight in the stern will kill your sailing performance.

Go small and spend the extra money on nice sails or some other goodies for yourself or the boat, Steve.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Torqeedo
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I have tried various motors on my Typhoon, from a trolling motor (23 lbs. without battery) to a 6HP Tohatsu long-shaft (59 lbs). My current outboard is a Yamaha 2.5 long-shaft (37 lbs.), which is about the right outboard for the way I use the boat. To be honest, when compared to the weight of the crew moving around the boat, I didn't find that any of the various outboards affected the trim enough for me to worry too much about it. For me, more important than the trim of the boat was the difficulty in lifting the outboard. 59 lbs. is just too much for me to hoist way up off the ground when I am setting the boat up to launch, but 37 lbs. isn't.

Although weight is a factor you want to look at, there are other things that are at least as important: reliability, horsepower, location and presence of a gear shifter, fuel tank location, and availability of local dealer support are all at least as important as the amount of weight that separate the lightest from the heaviest available options.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Steve Laume wrote:Honda, 2.3HP, air cooled, simple and reliable, is the perfect Typhoon motor. There is no need for reverse when you can spin the motor. When I was sailing a Typhoon, I would use the rudder until I got into a tight maneuvering situation, then would use the motor to do whatever I want the boat to do. You can spin it in place go and from forward to reverse without pause.
How well does this push the boat against the wind? I'm not overly concerned about waves where we will be, but I will need to get back to the dock/trailer/slip against the wind.

Sounds like the the 57lb+ weight on the 4-6 will end up being an issue, so at this point it's between the 2.3 and 3.5.
radsailor wrote:Torqeedo
I considered this, but the cost and limited range steered me away. Same when we considered putting an electric inboard in our 27. I like the idea in theory, but in practice I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. When the rest of my family is older and able to handle the boat a little better, I may consider it.
wikakaru wrote:Although weight is a factor you want to look at, there are other things that are at least as important: reliability, horsepower, location and presence of a gear shifter, fuel tank location, and availability of local dealer support are all at least as important as the amount of weight that separate the lightest from the heaviest available options.
Agreed, that's the main reason I'm avoiding messing with older 2-strokes.
pjust

Post by pjust »

I've had good experiences with both the Honda 2.3 and the Yamaha 2.5 motors, which are reasonably light and adequate to push me along at 5 kts. Whatever you get, be sure to get one with long shaft! It's a fair drop from the transom to the water. The Honda long shaft is a little longer than the Yamaha, which will come up out of the water if you go up on deck at the bow.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

What’s your sailing area? Tidal issues? Mooring or dock? How far to get back to field/dock? Just for day sailing and puttering about? Just some considerations of course.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
wentworth

Post by wentworth »

I currently have the Honda 2.3 hp which has more then enough power to drive the typhoon. The main reason I purchased engine was the weight. Before this I had 4 hp Johnson Deluxe which weighed in at 63 lbs. It was a killer to try and pick the engine off boat on mooring and put it in dinghy and remove at dock. So weight affect on sailor was my primary reason for finding lighter engine and Honda was the lightest I could find. Initially I had problems with fuel getting gummed up in carb. It just wasn't used much and and boat sat in blazing hot summer sun. It got so bad even with was using fuel stablizer and closing fuel valve and running it dry after use that the carburetor had to be replaced on 2 year engine. Honda covered it. After that I have used only ethanol free gas and the engine runs flawlessly so that is the only fuel that I ever use in small outboard. The only other engine I would consider would be Yamaha 2.5 which has great reputation and weighs in at 40 lbs in long shaft.