Inexpensive Online Sailmaker for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

charlesaf3

Inexpensive Online Sailmaker for Typhoon

Post by charlesaf3 »

I need new sails, pretty sure mine were original to the Typhoon - Main says "Cheoy Lee, Hong Kong, For Cape Dory"

I'm off the Rappahannock so I'm going to reach out to Latell, but are any of the online discount sailmakers any good? South East Asia Sails is certainly cheap...
Carl Thunberg

Re: Inexpensive Online Sailmaker for Typhoon

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Since your question was specifically about on-line sailmakers, I can tell you I had a very good experience with Precision Sails. Follow their measurement instructions exactly, and the sails will fit your particular boat perfectly. You will need a cloth tape and you will need to run it up a halyard. Don't forget to attach a downhaul to your halyard.

Do your homework. If the price you get from Latell is comparable to Precision Sails, stick with the local loft, who will be there to service your sails for years to come.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
charlesaf3

Post by charlesaf3 »

absolutely, if local loft is at all close I will go with them.

How much was Precision more or less?

And is there really that much variation between typhoon mainsails?
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I have purchased working jib and 150 genoa from Jerry Latell who came from Deltaville to Yorktown to measure for each (bought at different times)
On on of the sails a hank had broken. I drove to Deltaville and it was fixed immediately at no charge.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

My cost from Precision doesn't compare because it was a bigger boat, so of course it would be more expensive than a Typhoon. It was also about 4 years ago. You can go to their website and request a quote. There is no obligation to make a purchase by getting a quote.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I also concur with contacting Precision Sails. I received great service and an excellent price when I bought new sails for KAYLA, our CD28.

One detail I failed to state properly was that I only wanted 2 reefs... this was translated to a typical third reef and the "other reef" halfway down. What I really wanted was just a typical first & second reef and skip the third reef... Oh well, lesson learned. Since we no race KAYLA like we use to, this is not much of a problem.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!