Replacement CNG stove for CD36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

PenBayCD36

Replacement CNG stove for CD36

Post by PenBayCD36 »

Hi, somewhat new to the board so please forgive any faux pas!

I have a CD36 - Hull #80 - that needs a new CNG stove. Does anyone know what model Force 10 would be a relative drop-in replacement? Changing gimbal pivots is ok, but I want to make sure we can still use the self-storing shelf that covers the stove. Two burner stove would be fine as we rarely use three burners but still need an oven.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Frenchy

Re: Replacement CNG stove for CD36

Post by Frenchy »

Hi there - I think finding a CNG stove will be difficult. You could maybe check E-Bay periodically. Or e-mail MassMarineParts
in Quincy, Mass. They are a salvager. Their website doesn't show any CNG stoves, but they might have some.
Those who traded CNG for propane might still have an old stove and could respond to a "Wanted" notice in the items for sale section.
Lastly-if you already have a stove and it's rusty or damaged, a sheet metal fabricator could
duplicate the bad panels in stainless steel. Good luck in your search. I still have CNG and like it- no gas-tight locker
needed and it's safer than propane - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has CNG and I feel it is the best fuel for a boat.

The problem is finding fuel. My go to supplier, in RI quit there exchange program last year. I was able to get one tank exchanged in Stonington, Ct but they mentioned that they did not think they would able to get it much longer. There is the possibility of having them refilled but the tanks will need to be tested and evidently new tanks are very hard to find, even for major suppliers.

If I needed a new stove, I would get a propane model and rail mount the tanks. I would not be happy with that situation but at least I would be able to get gas. CNG, outside of the USA is impossible to find. Propane fills are everywhere.
The may not be the answer you were looking for but it is the reality of the situation.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Steve, I was able to exchange my CNG tank at the AirGas Store, 88 Niantic Ave., Cranston, R.I. last fall. A
sailor friend was able to exchange her two CNG tanks there as well. This used to be Corps Bros. I see they
have not-so-hot reviews but they treated me and my friend okay. - Jean
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

What’s wrong with the old stove/oven? Can’t get parts?
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
PenBayCD36

Post by PenBayCD36 »

Thanks to all for the quick responses!

The stove is generally in good shape but the oven burner doesn't function. Apparently, the unit is an old style with a mercury control that the thermo couple ties into. I found a site that "might" have a replacement if I send them my old one first. Can't remember the site but they warn that the unit should not be taken apart. The pilot stays lit but burner doesn't light. Have cleaned the orifice and everything else I can think of.

I like CNG for the safety and don't want to get into a retrofit to Propane if I can avoid it. Last time I checked, I could swap tanks at Robinhood Marine (now part of Derecktor) which is the neighborhood. I'm going to call them and see if they any guidance given their historical affiliation with CD when Andy owned it. I'll let you know what they say!

I haven't given up on it completely but wanted to explore what my options are. I did speak with the folks at Force 10 and they will configure a new stove for CNG, I just was hoping someone else had gone this route before me.

Thanks again....
PenBayCD36

Post by PenBayCD36 »

Duh... It just dawned on me that anyone who has put a Force 10 stove, CNG or Propane, into a CD36 might be helpful. Force 10 will convert a new one to CNG when/if I order it!.

So, my question now is this: Should I re-post without CNG in the subject line?

Thanks.....
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

This is a long shot - but you may have a Gas Systems stove manufactured by Sea Ward - model 31323. If you do,
you may be able to email the contact below and see if any of their thermocouple/thermostat controls would work on
your stove. All their repair stuff seems to be for propane, but maybe similar parts were used for the old CNG stoves. - Jean

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Seaward-Repair-Parts/
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
PenBayCD36

Post by PenBayCD36 »

Thanks, Jean. I've tried Seward in the past and didn't get much help on this issue. Back in 2012 they were very helpful in sending (free of charge) some new spring clips to keep the burners from rattling. No harm in trying again, though!

I'll let you know where I end up with this issue....