trailer tongue weight

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sunspray

trailer tongue weight

Post by sunspray »

Hi! Does anyone have comments on a good trailer tongue weight to haul a typhoon, especially at highway speeds (if advisable)? I know it is essential to have some. My actuator-hitch says 700 lbs max. Thanks!
lrak

Re: trailer tongue weight

Post by lrak »

Is this a boat trailer or a cradle on a flat bed utility trailer? Boat trailers usually have longer tongues and the axles further back compared to the overall length. They generally tow best with about 7% +-2% tongue weight. A flat bed utility trailer usually has the axles further forward and usually needs more tongue weight. Generally more like 12% +-2% for one of those. This should be in the trailer owners manual. Perhaps you can find it online?
sunspray

Post by sunspray »

Thank you for the info. It is a triad trailer and since asking the question I found the boat could be moved forward only as far as the bow pad allows, which gives a tongue wgt of about 175 lbs. I know that it is dangerous to have too little tongue wgt which is why I am asking. If the 7% is calculated from the wgt of the whole rig, approx 3000 lbs, then 175 is close to that wgt of 210 lbs. To get more tongue wgt, stuff could be put in the bow of the boat, or the bow pad galvanized holder could be sawed shorter. Thanks again. This is an important subject for trailer towing.
lrak

Post by lrak »

5.8% is probably fine on a Triad sailboat trailer. If you want a little more, mount a spare tire or move the spare tire mount further forward a few feet.
charlesaf3

Post by charlesaf3 »

I think 175 is too little.

My Typhoon on a triad is way too rear waited, and I am Jiggering with things to get it to sit further forward.

I put an eye in the bow, low, to help with this.

I'd like at least 200 pounds. To little tongue weight and the trailer can start wagging the truck, which is a really unpleasant feeling.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time