Typhoon Outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joeharverson

Typhoon Outboard

Post by joeharverson »

I have the rig-rite bronze outboard mount. It appears that a long shaft yamaha 4hp will just barely be below the surface. What length shaft is good for this type of mount

Thanks
wikakaru

Re: Typhoon Outboard

Post by wikakaru »

I have used both a long-shaft (20-inch) Tohatsu 6 and long-shaft (20-inch) Yamaha 2.5 with the Spartan bracket on my Typhoon and they both work fine. The only time the outboard pulls out of the water is if I am single-handed and I stand on the bow, for example when I am running bow lines at the dock or picking up a mooring, but not when actually motoring. (In that case, who would be steering?) With two of us on the boat, even when the mate is at the bow, the prop and water intake both stay submerged when I am sitting at the helm.

Here's a photo of the Tohatsu with no one aboard. In actual operation I am sitting on the poop deck, so the outboard is even lower in the water than shown in this photo.

I don't know how the Rig-Rite bracket differs from the Spartan bracket, but the long-shaft (20-inch) outboards work well for me. You certainly wouldn't want a short (15-inch) shaft. The only outboard I know of with an extra-long (25-inch) shaft is the SailPro. I wouldn't bother with the SailPro because it requires an external fuel tank, and there is nowhere to stow one on the Typhoon.
IMG_3571.JPG
Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Villamil

Re: Typhoon Outboard

Post by Dick Villamil »

For what it is worth, I have seen two types of Typhoon outboard brackets - one that is straight and the other with a slight bend downward like the one in the photograph. I also have the bent one and have used a 4hp Nissan long shaft motor with no problems but have converted to a long shaft trolling motor since I use the motor so sparingly (saves weight). The Nissan is now for sale as well as a long shaft British Seagull! Anywhere you sit in the cockpit to steer should keep the motor water intake in the water.