Improving the Navigation Bookshelf

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Improving the Navigation Bookshelf

Post by John Stone »

I have several book shelves on the Far Reach. But, the one I use the most is the one outboard of our chart table/ice box. It's pretty full when I am out voyaging but otherwise not a lot of books there. And even offshore it's not jammed. I keep a little space on the aft end as that is where my hidden 12v drop is kept. Whenever I pull a few books out, say for celestial sight reduction, the books fall over. Annoying.

I have been thinking how to keep the books in place regardless how many or few books are on the shelf. I also need to keep full depth on the forward end where I store bigger reference books. Like the bare teak caps on the companionway rails this project finally made the cut list.

I had a gorgeous piece of clear quarter sawn 4/4 Juniper sitting in my workshop. I really like juniper. It's very light. Mills easily. It smells great. And, if left bare is a natural bug repellent. I decided to use the juniper for the slotted brackets and repurpose some old juniper shelfs I replaced after my first voyage to the Virgin Islands. They were varnished on only one side...same as all the bunk boards.

I cut a series of dados in the 4/4 juniper. Then ripped it length wide so I had two matching sets of brackets. I kept them short enough that they did not extend into the forward part of the shelf reducing its depth. I installed the brackets with small brass escutcheon pins (very small nails). I had to shim the outboard one because of the changing shape of hull forward to aft. The old shelves were big enough I could cut one divider from each. I plan to put the bare side against the books due to its natural bug repellent characteristics. The varnished side toward the center. I cut a third divider from some scrap juniper. I'll have to varnish one side of it and the top edge so all you see is varnished edges from the cabin.

It all fits in there very nice. I think it's going to be a great addition. I look forward to trying it out.
Attachments
Look at that grain.  Beautiful.
Look at that grain. Beautiful.
D0367395-4196-4CC3-85A8-A7F6F911FDFA.jpeg (369.38 KiB) Viewed 227 times
D8E3E6D8-E157-47B2-A4F1-C89370F539DC.jpeg
D8E3E6D8-E157-47B2-A4F1-C89370F539DC.jpeg (507.62 KiB) Viewed 227 times
EE2D889C-EBFC-42B1-9B4E-A48FEB10DE9C.jpeg
EE2D889C-EBFC-42B1-9B4E-A48FEB10DE9C.jpeg (396.62 KiB) Viewed 227 times
wikakaru

Re: Improving the Navigation Bookshelf

Post by wikakaru »

It looks like you are getting to that phase of boat ownership where, instead of simply making the boat sound and seaworthy, you are customizing it for your own special purposes. It is transitioning from a vessel to a home. I look forward to seeing what other little comforts you will add.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am in the phase where I am ripping out and replacing things that I added while still adding things to make the boat more comfortable. There is no end to boat work and that is a good thing, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:I am in the phase where I am ripping out and replacing things that I added while still adding things to make the boat more comfortable. There is no end to boat work and that is a good thing, Steve.
Aye. True enough.